1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Numbers of images on cards

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hi,

I have a 4GB San Disk CF Card. It is the super high speed Type III. I also have 4GB Micro Drive, too. Without changing any settings, I get only 64 images on my San Disk card and something like 130, or so on the Micro Drive. Anybody got any ideas about this before I contact SanDisk?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Steve
    there is a small switch on the side of the card. move that to the other position and reformat the card (IN YOUR CAMERA)
    should get 174 raw + basic at 12.4MP

3. Yeah, I guess I should have read the paperwork that came with the card. Thanks,

Steve

4. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Steve, Have you noticed any noticeable write speed difference between the Micro Drive and the San Disk Card ?

5. Riki,

There is no comparison. The Extreme III card is about twice as fast as the MicroDrive, maybe faster. There are some tests somewhere on the internet that outline the differences. I find that the card, which costs over twice as much as the MicroDrive, is the way to go. Also, if you screw up and run the card over with a tank or through the washer, it might survive. The microdrive won't. Money and speed are hand in hand on that item. The Extreme II cards are great.

The image quality is the same, so if you don't need the speed, go with the cheaper cards or the microdrive.

Steve

6. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Steve for your reply. I just posted a separate post asking for recommendations on this subject. Wow, twice as fast, never thought there would be so much difference. Can I ask you one more question Steve, what do you use to transfer the images to your computer ? I am using a Delkin 32bit Cardbus PCMCIA Adapter? I find it is quite good. Anything else better/faster on the market.

7. Riki,

I just stuff the card in to the card reader on my Epson R300 printer and let it run into iPhoto. Then I drag the NEFs into another folder and label it. Mac hasn't gotten iPhoto to accept the NEF images from a D2X yet, but it will handle them from my D70, except if I use automatic rotation when I shoot vertical images, it corrupts them. This may not happen in PCs but it sure does in this Mac. I just jammed another gb of RAM into the machine, so I now have 2.5 GB. I'll notice the difference when I do some video editing, I hope.

Hope this helps. I've worn out a half pair of shoes kicking myself for not buying the EPSON P2000 instead of the DVD Burnaway. I'll be ordering one of those as soon as I can find a supplier with them in stock.

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.