NX/2:Test Processing exercise

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by crashmeister, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Last year some time, I posted on another website that NX could be used as a good teaching tool. I would like to propose a similar thread here.

Why is it good for teaching ?
    1. Edits do not change the original file.
    2. Any edit can be re-opened and examined, modified, deleted or cloned.
    3. By virtue of the above, more than one person can work on the same file (it can be passed back and forth).

What I did was to publish a NEF file and invite people to modify it to get the best results they could. Each one then posted their version and made the NEF available for download.

This helped me a lot. I got to see different interpretations and to see how they were implemented. I then used the information learned to create my own interpretation and I am still using that picture as my desktop today.

For this thread, I propose that we have one picture being worked on at a time. When that one has been done, we can open it for the next candidate. That way those teaching/helping are not overwhelmed.

So we need a volunteer to start the process. Make a NEF file available for download and then post the URL here. Anyone good with post processing is invited to work on the picture, and we can all view and discuss the results/process.

What do y'all think?

2. This is a great idea but I would like to see a separate subforum for this. This way each "assignment" can have a separate discussion thread.

3. It is a cool idea.
    One question, where to upload so others can download the NEF file?

MikeT

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    this is how I work via email with folks who use capture or NX, we send images back and forth with our work. I use my idisk to upload and download files.

One fun thing I did a few years ago, was to give a non processed raw, and the final JPG and said, try to match what I did. Was a lot of fun, took a few hours of work, but you really learned how to work your program for a look.

You can also do the first step or two and let them take it from there.

Wade

5. My email account only allows a maximum of 10 meg file attachments to be sent. I'm sure others will have a maximum on thier email attachments as well.

So maybe a service like yousendit would work?

MikeT

6. Craig, I think you've come up with a great idea. I can't commit to participating right now because I've got other photographic priorities on my agenda. But I look forward to following the progress of your thread because I'm sure I'll learn some great stuff from it. I'll eventually join in with everyone.

7. What a great idea. I'd definitely be interested in participating. I've learned so much from descriptions, but I think it would be even more amazing to actually be able to play around with the NEF and the impact of each of the settings.

8. This sounds like fun. I can address this request. The management team regularly discusses adding special forums. Unfortunately we are not staffed to take on the extra work it requires to keep track of it. However, what we can do is add a sticky thread in this forum for this purpose. This way it would be by itself and at the top of the page.

9. Well, Here's my meager try. :smile:

tomTom Image:
    EDIT: Second try.

Settings: Not sure how to post the settings file. :confused: 

Should there be a time frame so everone who wants to work on an image can do so before the next image is posted?

MikeT

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  10. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Can someone tell me how to UPLOAD an image from my computer, please?

It's asking for a URL and I don't have one for the image?

DaveG

11. I can host photos. No idea how to send in the .set file.

Here is my stab at it. I'm working off a laptop, so it might be iffy.

[​IMG]

Lots of fun!

12. Dave,

You first need to post your image to a hosting site like SmugMug, Pbase, etc. The image will then have a URL to use to link it to here.

13. Hmmm, I can see that I missed a step. I will go back and do that other step if ok. I'm learning already. :biggrin:

MikeT

14. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    I shall try again!

Here's my quick effort - colour, sharpening, WB etc all done in NX2 (I will try to upload settings file?).

Sent to CS3 for cropping extracting and saving as JPEG.

Nope, doesn't work - I registered at pBase uploaded the file - I can see it there - I copied the URL - clicked on the Insert Image icon here and copied the URL - still doesn't show - what's wrong?

Here's the URL:

http://www.pbase.com/daveg01/image/101009716

DaveG

15. Here's mine---seems a tad,or more, too green! (Funny, 'coz I didn't tweak the colors, just WB--though I am working on my Tablet PC):

[​IMG]

16. Great idea. I'd be happy to set up an FTP area on my site to handle the size of the NEF files. This would be password protected and wuold require a login which I can make available to all participants.

I have done this over the past couple of years with other needs to store/transfer large files.

Let me know if you would like me to do this, I can set up the area at any time.

17. I got the Nef zip with no problem. working at home too-at the end of a slow line.

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    here is mine, and of course I didn't save the nef settings, I went straight to save as JPG, but I pretty well remember what I did if any needs the info: ( I used a three step sharpening process, and not one color control point! :wink: )

Question I have, are we to alter the scene like the bench color/background, or concentrate on the overall look to the image or subject? I left the bench and background alone for now. I didn't want to alter the background yet.

[​IMG]

19. A second try--I skipped the LCH boost-voila-no more green!
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.