NX: annoying idiosyncrasy

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Pa, Jul 5, 2007.

1. When I open and modify an image file in Capture NX (1.1.0) and then save it, it tries to save it in the last directory used rather than the directory the original file resides in.

Has anyone discovered a setting which will fix this?

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't.... :frown:

Doesn't seem to matter if you open the file from Explorer, the NX browser, or the File - Open menu, it goes to the last folder you saved something in.

Bill

3. This may be a Windows problem, as I have also noticed it with Photoshop.

4. Jim,

Anytime I save my work in NX to a jpeg, it "saves" it to the generic "My Pictures" page. I then have to move it to a specific folder. Is that the same thing you are describing? I can't figure out a way to save it to a specific folder while saving.

5. In the dialog box, you can always navigate to the desired folder. But the default choice seems to be the folder most recently saved to, rather than the folder in which the file was selected.

6. Not sure where the "dialog box" is. In the process of saving the image, I've never found a location choice. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.:confused:

7. Jim,

Thanks. I found out why it wasn't going where I wanted. Just above the choice for NEF, jpeg, or TIFF is a place to choose the folder. DUH!!!!! But think I'll just keep doing it the way I have been...............because all the images go to the generic page and then I can highlight them all and move to the specific folder in one click.

Lot's to learn, lot's to learn...............................:biggrin:

8. Yep, I was preparing the below illustration, but apparently you found it already.

[​IMG]

9. Double DUH!!!!! I didn't notice the output location on the top. Thanks again. I've so much to learn.:frown:

10. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    I agree - this is very annoying and is NOT standard windows behavior. It is another flaw in NX. There is no place to set it differently. It only happens on 'save as' and SHOULD default to either the current directory (where the image was opened) or to a user defined location in 'settings'. I have temporarily lost a few files because I did not notice that it was doing this stupid trick.

11. It's funny but I really like this "save as" in another directory, as I always save my Processed Photo's files into a "PP directory" and keep my originals in their own separate directory.

As soon as I open a file I duplicate it and then close the original, that way you can't accidentally over-right the original (BTW,this is only for JPGs). Then when it's time to save, there is only a "save as" and you can't over-right the original. Also if you want you can keep the same name on the photo with out it clashing with the original. But what I also do is at the end of the file name I put a couple of letter of what program I used to PP the photo. e.g. NDC_8995.jpg to either NDC_8995nx.jpg (Nikon NX) or NDC_8995cs3.jpg (PS3) etc.....

12. But it's not a real problem, Thomas. All you have to do is designate where you want the pictures to go. Then as long as you are working in that file, the pictures will go there. You'll just have to designate a new file when you start working in it. No big deal.

13. I can see where it is a nice "feature" for people like Wally that use that kind of workflow, but it should be an option (and it's a simple one to add).

Another "flaw" is the cancel on some functions. I can't think which ones off hand, but you have a dialog box up to make an adjustment and hit "cancel", yet the adjustment still sticks and you have to go "undo" that step. No biggie, just an annoyance.

14. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    I never said it was a real problem. Just annoying to me, given the way I work and how I have my directories set up. And is is not the way any other windows program I have ever used works in this regard.