NX baloons my files in printer queue

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by gaperklake, Jun 22, 2007.

1. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello All,

Thank you so much for your help, ideas and guidance.

I've been communicating with Nikon tech support about this for two weeks now....

I have an HP C 5180 All-in-one printer. It works well with all print jobs I send it, and it functions properly with all of my software - expect NX. (I really like NX, though it's slow and clunky and I'm still learning it.) The prints themselves are fine. The PROBLEM is (and remains unsolved by Nikon) is that every file I print ends up 272 MBs in the print queue - which, of course, requires a long time to print - and printer failures because of the size. Regardless of the actual file size, the print size becomes 272 MB (RAW). (JPEGs also inflate.) This doesn't happen in LR, PE5 or any other software including Word, Excel, etc.

I have a PC and run XP.

Thank you again - for everything,

Guy

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Funny how things come up...

I've been setting up printer profiles all afternoon and printing with Lightroom, PSE 5, and NX.... Other than the usual mish-mash of changing settings, paper profiles, etc. I haven't had a problem. I've certainly never noticed a problem like yours with NX.

I use an HP 7360, run XP Pro, so our setups are basically similar. but I've never seen this come up....

AAHAH!! Elementary, my dear Watson! :biggrin::biggrin: Try resizing your files to a native resolution for your print size....

Go into Edit - Size/Resolution - Change the File Size - and play around with width and height until you come up with the print size in inches you want. For 5x7, it's 1406 x 2100. Then print your file while watching the printer queue to see what your file size to the printer goes to.

Hadn't thought of that but I decided to try printing one of the files I had open without resizing and NX sent it to the printer at 222 Mb. Resized to 1406 x 2100, it was only 68 Mb.

I have no idea why NX pumps up the file size like this but maybe resizing for your print size will help.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  3. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Did a little checking while building the 8.5x11 profile and it's puzzling.

File was an .nef from the D200, 16.7 Mb after processing, sized in the various programsto fit 8.5x11 paper @ 300 dpi, 3300x2209 pixels. Perceptual colorimetric rendering, medium sharpening in LR, as-shot sharpening(normal) in NX, no additional sharpening in PSE. Here are the results from the print spooler:

Adobe LR: no develop or crop, have no idea what LR did to resize the file to fit, file size to spooler 21.5 Mb

Adobe PSE 5, manually resized to fit width(3300x2209), file size to spooler 23.6 Mb

Capture NX 1.1, manually resized to fit width(3300x2209), file size to spooler 148 Mb

Capture NX 1.1, no resizing, just specified paper size in the Page Setup, file size to spooler 222 Mb

So can anyone explain to me and the OP WTH is up with this? Why Adobe can send a 23 meg file to a printer and get almost the same results as Nikon does with a 148 meg file?

After looking at the three prints for a while, I like the LR print for the highlight detail and NX has a slight edge on the other two in shadows. Just a FWIW....

Here's the original raw file, resized to 800x600 for the Web and converted to sRGB:
    _DSC1424.

Anybody else have this situation with NX?

Bill

4. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello Bill,

Thank you for both responses. Each are helpful. (To know one is not nuts or alone being nuts is a good thing.) I'm very new to digital everything. Will changing the size/resolution of a file in NX be permanent, or can it be undone like everything else if I want to print at a different size? Thanks,

Also, I will let you know anything I hear about this. I hope we get some responses to the mystery!

Guy

PS Very, very nice picture....

5. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Size/resolution changes in NX aren't permanent(I think) because they show up in the Edit List and can be unchecked.

For printing, you'll change the Output Size. The procedure is Edit - Size/Resolution . This brings up the Settings box for this step, select the top radio button "Change the Output Size(DPI)" Go to the right of the box and change either the width or the height to match your paper. This will change the dpi figure, go to that box and type in either 300 or 240 dpi. I think the HP printers like 300, the Epsons 240.

Another way to do it is to crop your print to a selected proportion using the crop tool. Check the dpi in the resize dialog box to make sure you're sending the right resolution for your printer.

I'd be really interested to hear from someone who knows why NX does this.

Bill