NX-D workflow

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The main point of using the program is for good quality raw processing of NEFs, using Nikon algorithms and using the camera settings.
It has no advantage over other software for processing JPGs.
Sadly the ultimate solution to problems with it is to stop using Nikon software and move to Lightroom or other options.

The main point of using the program is for good quality raw processing of NEFs, using Nikon algorithms and using the camera settings.
Sadly the ultimate solution to problems with it is to stop using Nikon software and move to Lightroom or other options.
I might just get Photoshop Elements for the iMac - I don't really do a lot of processing anyway.

Agreed. That is why I use ViewNX2. I always shoot NEF and VNX2 recognizes all Picture Controls and in-camera settings as Nikon built the camera to record.

]Agree again. The Nikon tools have no advantage with jpegs. The cake is already baked.

Disagree. I find that VNX2 does 99% of what I need. If I get it right in the camera, PP and conversions to jpeg are pretty fast and easy. I like that I can re-size any image for jpeg output, knowing I'm using the maximum possible data to create the final image, no matter what size or PP is needed before conversion.

After a LOT of testing and pixel peeping, I've found that the best in-camera starting point settings for my D3, D300, D800E, are Neutral/4-Sharp/Contrast+1.
I may load the NEFs into VNX2 and add 1 Sharpening for maximum sharpness with minimal noise. Having the software match my in-camera settings is most useful to me.

I never, never, use AWB for WB. I'd rather be consistently off the same amount in all images, rather than try to correct WB on a piecemeal basis, which AWB gives you. Not to mention that AWB is usually not correct. Mount a camera on a tripod and try shooting a waist up portrait of an individual wearing a bright blue top, then the same individual, with the same settings, wearing a bright red or green top. Use a white background and pre-set studio lights for consistency. AWB will give you slightly different colored backgrounds and skin tone in each shot. If the subject is the same, under the same lighting, and there are different results in each shot, then it is likely that all WB settings are not really correct. No decent studio shooter bases the WB setting used in-camera based on the color of light reflected from the subject, but that is what AWB does. If WB is off, then maximum contrast and accurate color reproduction are not achieved.

With NEF and VNX2, I can manually pick a value or use a gray patch from neutral gray card, shot at the time of the shoot, to get a setting in the software that modifies every NEF to the same setting with a few clicks. For a large batch of 36MP D800E NEFs, I may have to get up and get a cup of coffee while the processing works, but seldom does it take really long.

I might try it. At the moment I tried another batch process with 250 jpegs. resize plus a few other adjustments. It went quickly through the first 50 or so then really slowed down again to about 10 seconds each.
With all due respect to Mike, above, I would not waste time with View NX2 other than as a nice, quick viewing program for nef, jpg, and tif. The new Capture NX-D is not that hard to learn and it has all of the newest adjustments, corrections, etc. from Nikon. Yes the workflow requires some changes from what you may have been used to and may not be the best design right now. You should learn how to create, save, and call-up a Registered Adjustments. If you do not like Capture NX-D you might as well just get Lightroom. I still believe Capture One Pro is over-rated for Nikon users, and has a large learning curve to get the Nikon colors and contrast you are used to.

With all due respect to Mike, above, I would not waste time with View NX2 other than as a nice, quick viewing program for nef, jpg, and tif. The new Capture NX-D is not that hard to learn and it has all of the newest adjustments, corrections, etc. from Nikon. Yes the workflow requires some changes from what you may have been used to and may not be the best design right now. You should learn how to create, save, and call-up a Registered Adjustments. If you do not like Capture NX-D you might as well just get Lightroom. I still believe Capture One Pro is over-rated for Nikon users, and has a large learning curve to get the Nikon colors and contrast you are used to.
I bought Photoshop elements 13 - it has everything I need :)

And 2 1/2 years later I'm batch processing with NX-D :)
I shot a wedding on Saturdday - I got 2500 images and my wife got 1000. My new-ish PC is an i7 8700 with 16 gig of RAM and an m.2 drive. It's processing the images at about 2 seconds each. I may have to use Photoshop for 3 of the images to clone out a picture hook that was being a nuisance in some of the images but otherwise NX-D is doing everything I need.
[that [picture hook]
Des1_00047.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
And 2 1/2 years later I'm batch processing with NX-D :)
I shot a wedding on Saturdday - I got 2500 images and my wife got 1000. My new-ish PC is an i7 8700 with 16 gig of RAM and an m.2 drive. It's processing the images at about 2 seconds each. I may have to use Photoshop for 3 of the images to clone out a picture hook that was being a nuisance in some of the images but otherwise NX-D is doing everything I need.
[that [picture hook]
View attachment 1615898

HGi Desmond. God to ear that you are doing well with your paid work now. I haven't seen any comments on how you like your new PC? I know that this thread is about NXD and your workflow bit I would like to hear about your experiences with your now PC.
Regards.
Mike

I haven't seen any comments on how you like your new PC? I know that this thread is about NXD and your workflow bit I would like to hear about your experiences with your now PC.
Regards.
Mike
It is really nice being able to open it up and add hard drives and change components at will but I very much dislike the pc compared to the iMac Mike :) It's fast when processing the photos but if the iMac was the same speed and easy to add hardware I would still be using it primarily.
PC's have given me one headache after another, it gave a lot of problems installing Windows 10 and at one stage it wouldn't do its monthly update - I received advice here to just turn off updates until "next month when the latest update will fix that, because there is a known problem with this months update". It seems PC users learn to live with the [many] issues they have and learn the workarounds.
Owning a PC is like owning a vintage car that is easy to work on but it needs to be because it keeps giving trouble - it's like needing to be a mechanic to own a car :)

Desmond, NX-D has a simple clone tool that should be able to fix the picture hook in the wall problem. In the Edit dialog window is an icon that looks like a wizard wand with sparkling tip. Select that icon, or use the Menu option Tool(T) : Auto Retouch Brush(B). It is a very crude implementation, but works well for small and simple clone tasks. Sometimes it clones better depending on the direction of movement as you pass over the object, so if the first attempt doesn't work as well as expected, go at it from the other direction. For more complex tasks I export to .tiff and use use the clone tool in NX2 or another application.

Desmond, NX-D has a simple clone tool that should be able to fix the picture hook in the wall problem. In the Edit dialog window is an icon that looks like a wizard wand with sparkling tip. Select that icon, or use the Menu option Tool(T) : Auto Retouch Brush(B). It is a very crude implementation, but works well for small and simple clone tasks. Sometimes it clones better depending on the direction of movement as you pass over the object, so if the first attempt doesn't work as well as expected, go at it from the other direction. For more complex tasks I export to .tiff and use use the clone tool in NX2 or another application.
Wow thanks Mike, I never knew it could do that as well! I think I should read through all the instructions and maybe I won't need to use Photoshop any more :)

... maybe I won't need to use Photoshop any more :)
Well, I wouldn't give away the Photoshop license. ;) The NX-D clone tool is really limited. It is handy for small stuff though and a time saver if one doesn't need to export to another application in order to fix the small stuff.

Another tip: Since the PP settings for each image are saved in the file "imagename.NEF.nksc" in the subdirectory NKSC_PARAM, if you want to create "versions", copying the settings file to another location and renaming to something like "imagename.NEF.nksc.WB6500", is a crude method to save different PP versions. I do it manually now, but will probably write an interactive batch file to do this automatically for me in the future.

Well, I wouldn't give away the Photoshop license. ;) The NX-D clone tool is really limited. It is handy for small stuff though and a time saver if one doesn't need to export to another application in order to fix the small stuff.
I've had Photoshop Elements 13 for a few years now - never needed anything more than that but since starting to shoot RAW have only just got into actually using NX-D reasonably regularly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom