NX for D2X with firmware upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Paul K, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Paul K

Paul K

May 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    I ran into a strange problem yesterday, and as the raw processor forum deals with NX I thought I'd best here

Made a series of pictures at the beach under stormy conditions and due to the bad light in combination with a 4/200-400 was forced to go past 800ASA

http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/wijk_20070706

I stayed low though and only dialed in Hi-0,3

Things looked ok on the LCD and both NEf's and Jpg (I shoot NEF+JPG, compressed) also look good in Nikon View

But when I try porcess the NEF's with Capture 4.2 I only get a vague image composed of what seems very coarse chromatic grain

Made a series of test shots using the several Hi settings, and the Hi-0,3 and Hi-0,6 don't show up properly but as described above, while the Hi-1 shots show up well and can be processed without a problem (and don't look that bad for 1600 ASA, compared to what it would have looked in the old days when using film)

Camera functions without any problem so I'm ruling out that option

Could it be out-moded software and do I need NX to use the High ISO option of the D2X firmware update or has anybody another suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. I have a D2x with firmware 2.00, and use Nikon Capture 4.4.2. All pictures show up normally, for me, when I use HI-0.3 or HI-0.7. When viewing the EXIF data in Capture 4.4.2, the sensitivity is displayed as "0.3 Step Over 800", or "0.7 Step Over 800".

Not sure why yours wouldn't work. Do you have Nikon Capture 4.2, or 4.4.2?