NX:Gen - Commands - Does NX alter the actual RAW file?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by RockDawg, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    When I make changes in CaptureNX and save, does it permanently alter the RAW file or does it just save the adjustments somewhere and apply them everytime you open that same file like Lightroom?

Sorry, I see this is the wrong forum. Can a mod move tyhis to the correct forum? The forum layout here screws with me.

2. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    NX saves the information that you give it as to how you want the raw data to be displayed, then it saves a JPG inside the NEF file - that is what ViewNX and Photo Mechanic display. It does not alter the Raw data in any way.

3. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    It saves the changes... And you can save many times, and view the various versions you've saved...

4. And by going back and unclicking any changes you made you can see the files as it was shot.

5. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Where does it store all this information? Within the file itself? I understand about the jpg, but what about all the individual changes? It must keep track of each change somewhere if you can step back through them.

What I'm getting at is, if I backup nothing but the RAW files and my computer gets hosed and I reinstall Windows and CaptureNX will those RAW files still show with all the changes I made or are there other files I need to backup to "keep those changes"?

6. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    The answer is yes. The edits are saved inside the NEFs themselves. When you save a NEF and take it to a different computer and open it with Capture NX, you'll see all your edits there!

7. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Great. Thanks!

8. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    NX edits are stored within the NEF, but the as-shot data are never overwritten.

-Jason

9. This thread just made me think of something I may doing wrong in my workflow. When I upload all my RAW files from my camera using Transfer NX. I always have it make backup copies to a separate internal harddrive. Now when I make changes to a RAW file & save it, it maintains those changes within that 1 RAW file. If my computer were to crash, & I lost all those RAW files that I have made changes to, I would have those backups on my separate harddrive but they would not have the changes that I made to the originals, correct? Does anybody have a suggestion for a better way of doing this? One that would keep backing up my changed RAW files. Hope I explained that correctly!

10. Digidave, yes, the only way to do it would be to update your backups.

11. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Western Digital and many others make USB, portable hard drives that include backup software. Something like $100 for 80MB (probably less - who can keep up with dropping HD prices). Requires YOU to remember to do it, but speeds up the initial image transfer process since it is not doing 'double duty'.

12. I use an external hard drive that "smart" backs up the entire C: drive, meaning that when it backs up it only takes the time to backup the changed files or the new files. I use the external drive also used for my View NX and Capture NX caches. When I transfer files from the memory card to the computer, I don't format the memory card until I spot check some files to ensure that they properly transferred and until the backup software has done its job. The backup software automatically backs up at certain times of the day or night that we aren't typically using our computer.

I have no idea about the cost or the ease of making it happen. My wife handles all of that. That's why I plan on staying married to her for another 25 years.

13. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Could you elaborate on how multiple versions are viewed? Do you have to save the master under a different file name each time you PP the master image? I'm currently using Aperture and have it set to create new versions of the master file whenever I PP the master image. The versions are automatically stacked with the master. I'm very impressed with the improvements in CaptureNX 2 and I'm seriously debating a Photo Mechanic/CaptureNX 2 workflow. Thanks for your help!

14. No, you don't have to do that and in fact you shouldn't do that.

Each adjusted file has a minimum of two stored versions -- Original and Last Saved. You can custom name additional versions, such as Master, B&W, Vertical Crop, etc. Naturally, the version called Last Saved may be the same version as one of your custom-named versions. Once you get to a point in your post-processing workflow that you're done making adjustments for a particular version, simply name it.

When you save the file, it will be saved with all of the various versions. When you open the file later, simply open any or all of the versions that you had saved.

This works whether the file is a NEF, a TIFF or a JPEG.

By the way, welcome to the Cafe!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.