NX:Gen - Functionality - NX & ViewNX Color Management - Questions

Hello.

Background info so you know what I am working with:
I have the latest versions of the subject software.
I run those NX apps on a Dell XPS710 with upgraded video card and power supply.
I also use a ramdisk and do not have any real speed issues - NX is a tad slow sometimes, but not too bad.
I shoot with a D200 and sometimes my old D70s.
I usually print at Mpix or similar on line place but often print off of my old Epson 785EPX printer which usually does a great job.
Lastly, my (Dell LCD) monitor is calibrated with a Spyder2 Express.

My question is with the color management features of the NX software. What do I do with the file the Spyder2 creates? And in both NX apps there is the option regarding "Intent" Perceptual or Relative? What do I do with those?

Can somebody please explain how I make sure NX is using the calibrated settings? And should this also be used with printing somehow?

This stuff confuses the heck out of me. So please type slowly... :smile:

Thank you.

Hi Tom and thanks for the reply. Maybe you can help clear up some further questions....

1. NX usually uses on of the sRGB or the aRGB colour space for displaying - spider2 is primarily a calibration toll for YOur monitor, unless You got the enterprise version, within You also can calibrate Your printer
I understand that the Spyder2 only calibrates my monitor and does nothing for the printer. I just want to make sure NX is using the profile the Spyder creates so that NX and I "see" the same thing so to speak. In other words NX is seeing red the same way I am seeing red.

2. You can tell NX, which colour space it standarly shall use, the one, which is embedded int the nef, coming out of Your camera or You can tell NX to use once or permantely another icc-profile. That can be on, that came along with nx, ist can be a specific profile, that came along with Your monitor, or You can use the speder"-profile - this regards the monitor.[/QUOTE}
Shouldn't I use the one Spyder creates? How do I make sure?

4. If You want to change the actual used profile, go to the preferences dialog and change the setting for the monitor. You have also the ability, to embedd the standardly choosen icc-profile, but YOu have to check, if, and when, how a diferent affects Your output on monitors.
I understand and made sure the OS/monitor is using the profile. Just not sure NX is too.

The second issue YOu asked, does not depend on the monitor/viewing, but is relevant for printouts.
1. In the Adjuatemnets dialog You can choose between apply and convert a colour profile.
2. Apply is the issue I described above and primarily has relevance on the viewing/the monitor.
3. "Conversion" is the first step in colour-management workflow, which usually starts in that pre-print issue. Unless Your la does not claim for using this feature do not use it with this dialog. It is the same as the "colour-Management" issue in hte printig dialog. If YOu want to/do need the colour-managemetal issues, use it there.
I don't understand. Should I Apply or Convert each time I print?

4. The compensation issue had to with the way, the colours are interpreted by Your printer.
-perceptual is a setting, where the printer is told to adjust the colours on how humans usually "see" colours.
- relative is a setting, wihtin the printer is told, to adjust all colours regarding black/grey-point set in the printer/the printer-profile.
- absolute is a setting, whithin the printer is tol, to recalculate the black/grey-values and recalculate the "rest of the colours" regarding the recalulated black/grey-values.
5. Black-point compensation is an auxiluary setting on caculating the colur values. Nikon recommends, and in that way epson does as well, to use this otion only, if the produced output does not reach the colours, the printer is able to print, regardng the use profile for the printer.
I kind of understand this. I will re-review the settings. Maybe I am making this overly complicated in my mind...

Thanks for your time.
Joe

FWIW, I have found the same as Tom as regards my Epson CX8400....use the printer driver installed by the printer, and use "relative" with no black point. Gives the best match to what I see on my calibrated screen.

Hi Jim,
in short words, Harry has hopefully answered to Your questions - but if You need further infos, please post
btw: WHAT does You confuse?

best regards tom
What confuses me? Just the whole color management thing. I will spend some time this weekend re-reading your suggestions. I'll get there.

Thanks Tom.

Joe

Latest threads

Top Bottom