NX: Gen - saving as copy

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by cknight, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'm using Capture NX. I'd like to be able to save a version of a NEF as a JPEG, but still keep the NEF open. Similar to "Save as Copy" in CS2.
    Is there a way to do this?
    I'm tired of having to reopen the NEF every time I want to a save a different version as a JPEG.

2. If I understand you correctly, the short answer is "no."

The long answer is that you might want to consider waiting until all of your NEFs are post processed before saving them as JPEGs. You could batch save them to JPEGs and get other things done while the batch is processing.

3. Actually, after "saving as" to a JPEG, the information in RAM still is that of a NEF, so you can continue your edits in the in-RAM NEF file, but then be sure to "save as" to a new NEF file (or you'll lose the non-destructive steps).

4. That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of. Depending on the OP's intent, it might be the solution.

Let's assume I have a NEF and that there are three versions of the file within the one NEF that I want to save as a JPEG. I can simply bring up the first version and save it as a JPEG. I can then bring up the second version without re-opening the NEF and save it as a JPEG, etc.

5. I am unclear whether the TIFF based file structure remains after being saved a jpg. In other words, if I save the "saved jpg" file as a NEF, is all the color information still there as in the original NEF format or have I then saved, as a NEF, the compressed color info of a jpg while keeping the edit steps intact? Am I making any sense and does anyone know?

6. The point that Philippe made is that so long as the information remains in RAM (which is the same way as saying so long as the image file is not closed), the TIFF-based structure remains in place, including the edit steps, the Picture Control tools, and the White Balance tools that would not be available if the TIFF-based structure was no longer present.

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.
    I was trying to save the same NEF as JPEGS with different resolutions and USM settings. I got tired of -> Save as JPEG -> reopen NEF -> make changes -> save as JPEG -> reopen NEF -> etc.

8. My mistake was in assuming that once the NEF was saved as a jpeg that the file still open in RAM was now in jpeg format. If it's still in NEF (TIFF based) format then this will save me a lot of work, too. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.