Nx - NX2 - View NX with 64bit windows

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Stephan54, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Does Nikon software run on Windows XP or Vista 64bit? Only 32 bit compatability is mentioned on the box of NX2.

I am going to build a new pc, so I am very flexible in choosing which hardware and software to buy. But I would not like to be in a position in which the new pc does not run my software.

Thanks.

2. Stephan,

You might want to check out this thread making note of both the success stories and the warning that people have reported issues using the 64-bit edition.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Stephan, I am running NX/NX2 on Windows XP Pro 64bit with 8GB Ram and 2+TB of disk. Itunes and WD software will run but the install look for OS level and then the install dies. NX2 runs fine.

The question you need to decide is what would the 64bit OS provide over the 32bit? One factor is the amount of RAM the system can use.

4. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Mike and Mark, thanks to both for your early and helpful replies.

Building a new pc made me think about the options I have, including the Windows version.

I will use the pc mainly for photo editing in NX-NX2 (still use nx 1.34 because nx2 crashed too often) and Microsoft Office applications (Word, ...)

My question implied not knowing whether 64 bit would be an improvement.

5. Stephan, I don't remember either NX or NX2 crashing and I'm using the Vista Home Premium 32-bit edition. You might want to check out Tom's tutorial if you haven't already seen it.

6. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Thanks again Mike. Crashing probably is not the correct word.

I installed NX2 (upgrade - boxed version) without problems. I opened it, loaded picture, saved the picture and closed Capture.

Sometimes I could re-open Capture by clicking on the icon, but often I clicked on the icon, the hourglass appeared for a second and then disappeared without opening the programme. If NX2 did start, it usually would not start for a third time.

To be clear: Normally I do not close NX after each photo, but I was curious how fast it would start up. I applied the tips Tom gave and people mentioned that after closing NX it would start up faster next time. In my case it usually refused to start up again. Had to restart the pc to make it work again.

So I deinstalled it and work with NX 1.34 till I have a new pc.

7. That's very bizarre, Stephan, and I'm sure very frustrating.