NX/NX2:Win - Performance - Poll

Are you having disabling issues using Capture NX or NX2 on your Windows computer?

• I use XP and experience disabling issues.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • I use Vista and experience disabling issues.

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I do not experience disabling issues.

Votes: 63 74.1%

• Total voters
NX2 Crashes on XP Pro Notebook

While NX2 runs fine on my Vista Home Premium desktop, it will no even start on my Dell XP Pro notebook. It crashes immediately after it loads.

I carefully followed the excellent instructions here https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176373 but without success.

One of Tom's threads suggested that I might not have waited long enough during install, so I am going to try that again, but I am not optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gladly repeat myself - no issues with NX2 whatsoever.
Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Q9450, 8 Gb RAM, 4 HDDs, 256Mb video card (passive cooling).

To open a D3 NEF takes about 1 sec., to open 10 NEFs simultaneously takes about 10 sec., so no slow down here. Saving a NEF (lossless compressed) to itself takes on average 5 sec., saving an already open NEF to .jpg takes about 1 second.

Batch converting of 200 D3 NEFs (with various modifications made) to .jpg takes about 15 min. All 4 cores are used more or less equally during that process (about 50%).

NX2 never crashed till now, ViewNX sometimes gets stuck (once every 3 weeks) but I have not found out why.

Cheers

O

OwenMorgan

Speed Issues with Cature NX2

Perhaps others already found the point I just discovered re speed, stability etc and NX2.

I have learnt a lot from these threads having had significant speed problems with NX2. I have actioned all the listed suggestions (correct .Net ver; C++ libraries and all SPs loaded etc) without much improvement: (Running a Compaq Centrino Duo - 2.4Ghz, 3GB RAM etc, Win XP Pro SP2)

For what it is worth, I have been holding off doing the Win XP SP3 upgrade (bad experiences having being an early adopter of SP 1 and 2 for Windows). Finally installed SP3 the other day and all the issues with performance of Capture NX2 have gone. I can only assume that some of the C++ library issues and other factors mentioned in these threads are intertwined with aspects of the latest SP for XP Pro.

Perhaps others are waiting to do the SP3 upgrade for Win XP. If so, this may be the last trick to get Capture NX2 moving on your system.

Anyway, thanks for the great support: I had been getting desparate till I found this forum and threads.

Cheers.
Owen

O

OwenMorgan

Thanks Tom....

But my really substantial issues with Cap NX2 have gone. Since loading SP3 for Win XP Pro, Cap NX2 has been running like a rocket.

Cheers,
Owen

I have a somewhat old Dell 1100 laptop with a gig of memory. While it is slow, it never has serious problems. In fact, on my iMAC both NX and NX2 will sometimes self terminate, again 1 gig memory, but never on the Dell running XP home. I should also note that the iMAC is one heck of a lot faster though!

Perhaps others already found the point I just discovered re speed, stability etc and NX2.

I have learnt a lot from these threads having had significant speed problems with NX2. I have actioned all the listed suggestions (correct .Net ver; C++ libraries and all SPs loaded etc) without much improvement: (Running a Compaq Centrino Duo - 2.4Ghz, 3GB RAM etc, Win XP Pro SP2)

For what it is worth, I have been holding off doing the Win XP SP3 upgrade (bad experiences having being an early adopter of SP 1 and 2 for Windows). Finally installed SP3 the other day and all the issues with performance of Capture NX2 have gone. I can only assume that some of the C++ library issues and other factors mentioned in these threads are intertwined with aspects of the latest SP for XP Pro.

Perhaps others are waiting to do the SP3 upgrade for Win XP. If so, this may be the last trick to get Capture NX2 moving on your system.

Anyway, thanks for the great support: I had been getting desparate till I found this forum and threads.

Cheers.
Owen

I can confirm this on my PC. SP3 for XP increased the speed of all my apps quite noticeably. I do not understand why this is not an automatic download. I went to the MS update site and got it. Maybe they do not want people holding on to XP, but I am very happy with it. Especially now that it is so snappy. Firefox, Outlook, Office, NX2 ....EVERYTHING is faster. Get it!

I am using a P4, 1.5 ghz, 1.5g ram, 2 HD computer. I have tried 3 times to download and install SP3 and it seems to hang at the same place each time. When it gets to rebuilding the registry the download stalls and I have to close the program. I have tried with the antivirus and firewall disabled. I had the same problem with SP2 and when I had a HD replaced the computer shop installed SP2 along with some USB ports I added. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Mike

FWIW, I tried XP 64bit and had horrible issues with NX/2. There was a quite volatile thread on the issue :)

I have since installed XP Pro 32 bit and I am back to using NX. I have not yet tried NX2 on the 32bit OS.

Regarding .NET - For any software that requires the kind of screwing around and continual re-installation and tinkering that this does - the developers should be hung, drawn and quartered.

How I envy the MAC users. Whatever their equivalent of .NET is, at least it works, and from what I gather, it works quickly. Unfortunately, I have too much software that requires a PC, and I'm not prepared to (and shouldn't have to) go through the expense of a dual system just to support NX.

NX has so much potential. It really saddens me that neither Nikon nor NIK are prepared to put in the effort to make this really work well on Windows.

Sigh!

The 'X-Factor'

I have found this discussion intriguing.

I note with interest the mention of an 'X-Factor' as a possible explanation for some of the irregularities in NX2 performance. I would like to suggest however that is it not the presence of an X-Factor that is controlling; it is rather the absence of a 'Y-Factor' - as in Why do Nikon/NIk demonstrate such visible and active interest in this issue?

I have the trial software installed on 2 XP computers, roughly 30 days apart. Both installations have been set up following the most usable and valuable guidance developed by Tom and published on this forum.

The earlier of the two installation runs with acceptable performance (only 'acceptable' given the computing resources being used!) and outstanding functionality and stability. It is an excellent product.

The later installation is unique in my experience (i.e unique to me, on any computer I have used; these results do not apply to anybody esle).

I need to be more precise about this: to find an application that is slower I have to go back to 1978 and the first 'connect' processing on the IBM 8100 under DPPX. That took 12 hours, but, in fairness, was on a system that had more trace and performance measurement software than application software.

If you factor in the increase in all aspects of computer hardware performance in the intervening 30 years, then NX2 is actually slower. It is the slowest application I have ever experienced. Not only that, but it makes the remainder of this otherwise very capable computer barely usable.

For example, NX2 is running as I type this; the last operation, about 20 minutes ago, was to change the location of the temporary files folder to another hard drive. My system has been running at 100% CPU - 99% of it used by NX2 - since then. It has taken about 10 minutes to get to this forum page and about 10 minutes to type this far. I can easily fill the keyboard buffer while NX2 is (not) running.

Another statistic: I tried opening a 1 Mb jpg over my home network. I actually had time to go to my local grocery store, by bicyle, do a quick shop and return before the file was opened. All other applications on this computer will open a jpg across my home LAN in less than about 5 seconds.

As part of finalising the installation of NX2, the Nikon Message Center advised me of the availability of 2.0.1. The update was claimed to be 2 Mb. The download of this update took almost 10 times longer than the 38 Mb that Windows Update downloaded and installed on this computer just prior to installing NX2

The intriguing part is that, as an end-user, I have absolutely no idea of why there should be such significant differences between my 2 Win XP/SP3 computers in NX2 performance. Not only that but I can't think of an effective and robust problem source identification process. That's where the Y-Factor would be really helpful:

Nikon/Nik why don't you give us some clues as to what is going wrong when NX2 performs so badly? I don't mind accepting all responsibility for this if I have made an installation error, but I need to know what the error is and why before I can fix it.

Or is it just me?

PS: In order to speed up the creation of this post I tried closing NX2, but gave up after waiting 30 minutes for it to close. I killed it with the Task Manager. NX2 now crashes immediately on being started, with the usual 'sorry for the inconvenience...' message and option to send a report to Microsoft. Unless there are some experts out there, I think this is the end of my involvement with NX2 on this particular computer. (And the trial has evaporated on the other one....)

If you factor in the increase in all aspects of computer hardware performance in the intervening 30 years, then NX2 is actually slower.

An inflation-adjusted speed. Great idea! :biggrin:

Seriously, so long as NX is my editor of choice, I wouldn't go near an XP machine after having read so many horror stories about the mismatches between the two. If so many reasonably intelligent, reasonably experienced computer users are having inexplicable issues trying to get NX to work on their computer, something has gone awry. I can only hope it doesn't ever happen with Vista.

Odd, my XP machine at home and both of them at work did automatic SP3 upgrades. If you have skipped certain upgrades in the past, it may not install automatically due to problems in SP2 that were fixed by those upgrades.

Didn't make NX or NX2 any faster, though. Still too slow to use for anything other than dematrixing. Then the files go straight into Photoshop, which runs about 10X faster.

I have NX2 installed on all 3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop, all of which have XP pro. I will not go to Vista yet. Anyway, all have had NO problems with NX2 and run the program pretty well. All computers have had SP3 installed also. I think a lot of people do not keep their computers clean. Clean I mean, registry and the like. I run a program called registry mechanic once a week, and especially before and after installing any program. I also delete files in my Prefetch and temp folders before installing and after installing programs. On my lonely 4 year old laptop NX2 runs great. I reformated, added a 2nd gig of ram, and installed only the necessary programs and it runs like new.

Cheers
Nancy

I've run NX and NX2 on a Vista Ultimate machine and both are extremely slow (no crashing, just slow).

Latest threads

Top Bottom