NX2.1: Win - Revised Tutorial: Preparing Your Windows Computer

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Mike Buckley, Oct 1, 2008.

1. tomTom has revised his tutorial, "Capture NX: Preparing Your Windows Computer." Until we get the revisions posted in Tutiki and/or in the sticky post, this is our fastest method of making them available to you.

All of his revisions relate to the release of Capture NX 2.1. They are provided as appendages to Step #4 and the Conclusion. Both are shown below.

Appendage to Step #4: Steroids for Capture NX

All of the above was written prior to the release of Capture NX 2.1. Now that that update has been released, if you have not installed any version of Capture NX, you should also download and install three additional files using the three embedded links provided below. Be sure to install them in the order that they are shown. If you have have already installed Capture NX, you should download and install the three files only if Catpure NX is performing slower after you installed the files mentioned above that pertain to .NET Framework 2.0 and the 2005 Redistributable Packages.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Summary
    To ensure the best performance of Nikon Capture NX, the following products should be installed in the order shown below:
    1) 32-bit edition of Windows XP or Vista
    2) .NET Framework 2.0
    3) .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    4) Capture NX
    5) Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
    6) Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

You may or may not need to install the following files (see the above details):
    7) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    8) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
    9) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Revised October 1, 2008 Copyright 2008 tomTom and Nikon Café

2. Thank you, this is good information.

3. FYI: I installed Win XP Pro 64 bit edition and capture NX 2 appeared about 5 times faster than under 32 bit XP.

Gary

4. watches

watches Guest

Capture NX2

Hello All,

I am very new to this forum....just in the process of buying NX2 for my Mac...I have no idea how to use this product, but would like to become an excellent user...I shoot DX3---Events and product (no Studio)
    Any suggestions..(sorry if this is not the correct format for this question..)

5. watches,

Welcome to the Cafe! I didn't really see a question in your post, so I suggest that you purchase Jason Odell's Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2.

You might want to add your first name to your signature, though not necessary.

6. I_media

I_media

May 16, 2007
    Norway
    In addition you may also consider two more books; Real World Nikon Capture NX 2 by Ben Long, and/or Nikon Capture NX 2 After the Shoot by Mike Hagen.

And maybe also: Nikon Capture NX2: Unleashing the RAW Power of Capture NX 2 (THREE Tutorial DVD Set) by Vincent Versace.

And just to mention the "NX Resources" thread few lines down. :)

7. I'm going to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit shortly. Does anyone have any experience with NX2 and 7? Do we have to do the same dance with 7 that we did for XP? Thanks!

8. Win 7 Upgrade

I don't know what dance was necessary for XP. I have Win 7 Pro x64 and NX 2.2.4 and it is no that snappy on an Intel 2.8ghz quad core, 4 gig ram. Most of the information I've seen here does not seem to address issues for those of us that have moved on to Vista or beyond. I did an upgrade from Vista to Win 7. According to Microsoft that was an acceptable choice, but now I'm not so sure. One problem I have run in to and can't get a fix for is my Epson 1400. In print preview mode it crashed the video driver. Of course Epson says it's not their problem. I also have a Canon printer attached and it doesn't suffer with that problem. If the 32 bit monitor setting is stepped back down to 16 bit the problem doesn't occur. It didn't happen in Vista x64. It seems like an Epson driver problem. The Epson prints without any problem. Before I upgraded the video driver the system would BSOD. Now at least the driver recovers, but it is annoying.

9. MR.BIG

MR.BIG

Feb 24, 2008
    Serbia
    For a few months I run Win 7 x64 on my machine ...... NX2 (2.2.3) is working perfectly .......... not a single problem

10. Thanks for posting this. I just updated my NX2 to version 2.2.4 (on my Windows XP Home Machine) a couple days ago and haven't used it to any great degree since that update. But I am surprised to see the suggestion to add C++ files. I don't understand why this would help NX2 run unless you are programming something yourself. Are these files for all NX2 users? Or is there some special application to which these notes apply?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  11. The .NET framework and C++ Redistributable files are Microsoft provided libraries that are used by other programs. Sometimes the installers for programs will try to install those libraries for you automatically and other times the libraries might have to be installed manually. If you are keeping up with automatic updates, they might already be installed for you as that is how Microsoft would normally cause them to be updated, but some people have automatic updates turned off.

You'll need them yourself if you are a .NET and/or C++ program developer, but then you probably already have them installed, but then you would already understand what they were for and likely wouldn't have asked why they would need to be installed.

12. OK Howard, I think I understood as much of your post as I need to. In the meantime I went to upgrade the copy of NX2 I have on my Vista machine (and also verified that my Vista is 64 bit - I probably should have know this, but I wanted to make sure anyway). I also upgraded NX2 (2.2.4) on this Vista machine, and then I installed teh C++ applications. I have a feeling I didn't need to do this, but I did it anyway. If I have any problems after doing this (I haven't tested it yet), I'll edit this post to offer my results. If on the other hand it works fine, I won't bother editing this post.

Thanks,

13. Capture NX 2.2.7

I recently upgraded to Capture NX2 2.2.7 on both a Vista machine and a Win 7 (64-bit, 4 cores, 8 threads, 12 GB) machine. No problems with either doing either the install or upgrade. The Win7 machine screams!