NX2.3 Released

NX2.3 is available for download on the Nikon Europe site this morning (20/12/11).

Lens information is now displayed in the Metadata palette for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 or Nikon 1 J1 using the Mount Adapter FT1 and a CPU lens.
Support for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 J1 using the Mount Adapter FT1 has been added.

An Astro Noise Reduction option has been added to Noise Reduction in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette. This option reduces the randomly spaced bright pixels that occur in images of stars captured with long exposures.

An Auto2 option has been added to New WB under White Balance in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette. This option is available with RAW images taken with the COOLPIX P7100.

When white balance is changed to Auto2 and a settings file saved, a white balance setting of Recorded Value will be applied if the settings file is used on a RAW image that does not support the Auto2 white balance setting.

When Set Gray Point was selected from White Balance in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette, and the image clicked to specify a portion to use as the grey point, the point selected was sometimes not accurately reflected in the resulting white balance if the image had first been rotated. This issue has been resolved.

Additional modifications to the Windows version

This software now operates as a native 64-bit application under the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

An Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW item with Thumbnail and Preview and Thumbnail only options has been added to the General panel of the Preferences accessed from the Edit menu.

In addition, preview images can later be added to NEF/NRW files saved without embedding them using the new Update Preview option in the Browser palette context menu and File menu.

The default setting for the Use Image Cache option in the Cache Settings panel of the Preferences, accessed from the Edit menu, has been changed to off (not checked).

When Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 is installed with the Use Image Cache option enabled (checked) with the previous version of Capture NX 2, Use Image Cache will be disabled (unchecked) and cached data will be deleted.

An issue that resulted in inconsistent display of images in the Browser palette and images inside the folder selected in the Folders palette has been resolved.

When a batch process was run for images captured with simultaneous RAW + JPEG recording by selecting Run Batch Process from the Batch menu with a new naming convention applied to the RAW and JPEG images, new files were not always created for the selected images. This issue has been resolved.

An issue that caused the Folders, Browser, and Metadata palettes to be shifted down when Windows was set to display the taskbar at the top of the desktop has been resolved.

When Set as Default Printer was applied to some printers with Windows, a Capture NX 2 stops working error message was displayed when Capture NX 2 was exited. This issue has been resolved.

When tone curves were edited using Adjust menu>Light>Levels & Curves, Adjust menu>Color>LCH, or Quick Fix in the Develop section of the Edit List palette, positions of anchor points changed unexpectedly. This issue has been resolved.

When this software is installed on a computer to which ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.2.3 or earlier has been installed, the Picture Control Utility will be replaced with a version not supported by ViewNX 2, making it impossible to launch the Picture Control Utility from ViewNX 2. Please upgrade ViewNX 2 to Ver. 2.2.5.

RAW images saved with Thumbnail only selected for Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW in Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 Preferences will appear grainy with display in and printing from ViewNX 2.

When Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 is installed on a computer running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows Vista, users will be presented with a dialog giving them the choice of installing the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of the software. Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 can only be used if the 32-bit version is installed.

If either Capture NX 2 or the Picture Control Utility (one or the other) is launched in 32-bit mode on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 may freeze unexpectedly if Save as a new Custom Picture Control or Load Custom Picture Control Settings is selected from the Manage Picture Control menu in Capture NX 2.

To use the software in 32-bit mode, be sure that both Capture NX 2 and the Picture Control Utility are running in 32-bit mode.

To use Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 must be launched in 32-bit mode. Quit Capture NX 2, choose Get Info from the Finder to open the Capture NX 2 Info dialog, and check the Open in 32-bit mode box.

DG

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of caution:

If you have NIK Colour EFX 3 (for NX2) the 64 Bit version will apparently overwrite/replace the 32 Bit version and CEFX 3 will no longer be supported/available.

You can't run the 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions seperately (??).

DG

Yet more good news about NX. Nice one Nikon!

I just noticed while reading the addendum to the manual that they have sorted out the issue of always creating huge preview files. Users can now select a lower quality preview file if they want.

An issue with NX had been that it always went for the ultimate and never gave users the option to opt out.

Here's the scene:

Lead Dev: "Put in the highest quality preview file we can get"
Junior Dev: "How about performance? This will slow things down"
Lead Dev:"Photographers will always choose quality over performance ... Just do as I say."
Junior Dev: "OK ... If you say so"
Lead Dev: "Oh yeah, I say so ... It is going to be all or nothing with this baby"
Junior Dev: "OK ... How about the cache files?"
Lead Dev: "Stick in a 16bit Tiff file. You can't get better than that."
Junior Dev: "16bit Tiff????"
Lead Dev: "Yep!"
Junior Dev: "For a cache file????"
Lead Dev: "Yep!"
Junior Dev: "That's going to be than the actual NEF file ... It will be humongous ... At least we need to allow people to opt out"
Lead Dev: "No can do! It's all or nothing"
Junior Dev: "That's just nuts"
Lead Dev: "Alright, punk ... You're fired."

So glad to see that for the first time, NX includes an option to opt out of the ultimate for the optimum. This is a biggie and long may it continue!

Sadly though, there is no mention of the "Buckley".

Sadly though, there is no mention of the "Buckley".

The Nikon product manager emailed me to explain that they could either add the "Buckley" capability or the flexibility to control whether the embedded preview would be updated, not both. He said that he would go with my decision about which capability to add. I felt so bad for GroovyGeek and others about the embedded preview that I told him to forget about the "Buckley" capability.

I'm now enjoying playing the martyr.

The information shown below is copied from the Nikon U.S. site. If Dave copied all of the information from the Nikon Europe site, certain information provided at the U.S. site is not available at the Europe site. EDIT: I also now see that certain information provided at the Nikon Europe site is not provided at the Nikon U.S. site. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Modifications that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions

Lens information is now displayed in the Metadata palette for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 or Nikon 1 J1 using the Mount Adapter FT1 and a CPU lens.

Support for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 J1 using the Mount Adapter FT1 has been added.

An Astro Noise Reduction option has been added to Noise Reduction in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette. This option reduces the randomly spaced bright pixels that occur in images of stars captured with long exposures.

An Auto2 option has been added to New WB under White Balance in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette. This option is available with RAW images taken with the COOLPIX P7100.

When white balance is changed to Auto2 and a settings file saved, a white balance setting of Recorded Value will be applied if the settings file is used on a RAW image that does not support the Auto2 white balance setting.

When Set Gray Point was selected from White Balance in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette, and the image clicked to specify a portion to use as the gray point, the point selected was sometimes not accurately reflected in the resulting white balance if the image had first been rotated. This issue has been resolved.

Additional modifications to the Windows version

This software now operates as a native 64-bit application under the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

An Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW item with Thumbnail and Preview and Thumbnail only options has been added to the General panel of the Preferences accessed from the Edit menu.

In addition, preview images can later be added to NEF/NRW files saved without embedding them using the new Update Preview option in the Browser palette context menu and File menu.

The default setting for the Use Image Cache option in the Cache Settings panel of the Preferences, accessed from the Edit menu, has been changed to off (not checked).

When Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 is installed with the Use Image Cache option enabled (checked) with the previous version of Capture NX 2, Use Image Cache will be disabled (unchecked) and cached data will be deleted.

An issue that resulted in inconsistent display of images in the Browser palette and images inside the folder selected in the Folders palette has been resolved.

When a batch process was run for images captured with simultaneous RAW + JPEG recording by selecting Run Batch Process from the Batch menu with a new naming convention applied to the RAW and JPEG images, new files were not always created for the selected images. This issue has been resolved.

An issue that caused the Folders, Browser, and Metadata palettes to be shifted down when Windows was set to display the taskbar at the top of the desktop has been resolved.

When Set as Default Printer was applied to some printers with Windows, a Capture NX 2 stops working error message was displayed when Capture NX 2 was exited. This issue has been resolved.

When tone curves were edited using Adjust menu>Light>Levels & Curves, Adjust menu>Color>LCH, or Quick Fix in the Develop section of the Edit List palette, positions of anchor points changed unexpectedly. This issue has been resolved.

When the mouse cursor was positioned over the Set Black Point button in the Levels & Curves dialog, accessed via the Adjust menu>Light, to display an explanation of the feature, white point information was displayed. This issue has been resolved. (French version only)

Additional modifications to the Macintosh version
This software now operates as a native 64-bit application under Mac OS.

An Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW item with Thumbnail and Preview and Thumbnail only options has been added to the General panel of the Preferences accessed from the Capture NX 2 menu.

The default setting for the Use Image Cache option in the Cache Settings panel of the Preferences, accessed from the Capture NX 2 menu, has been changed to off (not checked).

When the selection brush was used to edit an image with the image window displayed at a large size (1980 × 1080, 1512 × 1008, etc.), Capture NX 2 sometimes quit unexpected. This issue has been resolved.

Wait, so Color Efex 3.0 is not supported by 64 bit version? And Color Efex 4.0 is not supported by NX 2?

Done. Not waiting any longer. Lightroom here I come.

It seems to me that NX2.3 is now saving the edit information in a sidecar file if the program is configured to save only the thumbnail. This will be great news for people who worry about potential corruption of the "digital negative" when saving the edit information only to the image file.

I don't think sidecars are necessary to achieve this.

Done. Not waiting any longer. Lightroom here I come.

Enjoy LR, it is a great piece of kit. However, I can't understand how you expected a tool with a 32bit addressing system, Color Efex 3.0, to work within a 64bit addressing system.

Now, if a 64bit version of Color Efex 3.0 is released (not likely of course) then it will work in NX 64bit. You can't mix the bits. It is simply not possible and you should have made your move when Color Efex 4.0 was released.

Bear in mind that with LR and Aperture, Color Efex runs as an independent program and data in the form of a Tiff file is passed between them. Theoretically, they can btoh have different bit systems. In NX, Color Efex is an integral part of the environment. It is a tighter integration which is why you can edit etc. It works on the RAW data and hooks into the process flow along with the normal NX steps.

Enjoy LR, it is a great piece of kit. However, I can't understand how you expected a tool with a 32bit addressing system, Color Efex 3.0, to work within a 64bit addressing system.

Now, if a 64bit version of Color Efex 3.0 is released (not likely of course) then it will work in NX 64bit. You can't mix the bits. It is simply not possible and you should have made your move when Color Efex 4.0 was released.

I made my move a few weeks ago and now use Color Efex 4.0 along with LR3 and PS.

Glenn

No sidecars so far.

I can see how anyone who bought CEFX3 for NX2 recently might be a little "miffed". I wonder if NIK will be lenient and allow an upgrade to CEFX4 (for CS4/5?).

The warning signs were there if you looked for them.

In order to maintain a 64 Bit workflow and use CEFX you need NX2.3, CSx (64 Bit) and CEFX4.

DG

I downloaded 2.3, but when you try to install it, it tells you must uninstall the old version first (I'm using a Mac).

This makes me a bit nervous. Has anyone actually installed it yet?

This looks encouraging.

Hmmm. That bit wasn't on the EU site. Somehow I suspect that this is indeed Windows only ... would be true to form.

I wonder how this can be verified and what Versions of OS X if it is the case as every version since Tiger at least has been partially 64Bit. Perhaps 10.6 & 10.7 which are fully 64bit (I think).

No sidecars so far.

I can see how anyone who bought CEFX3 for NX2 recently might be a little "miffed". I wonder if NIK will be lenient and allow an upgrade to CEFX4 (for CS4/5?).

In order to maintain a 64 Bit workflow and use CEFX you need NX2.3, CSx (64 Bit) and CEFX4.

DG

The communication direct from NIK is that there is not going to be any plan to introdocue Color Efex Pro 4 into the NX2 environment. The fact that Color Efex Pro 3 was not also upgraded to 64 bit architecture means the only reason that I was going to stay with Capture NX2, imbeded Color Efex Pro, is now over. With no indication that there will be an NX3 or Color Efex Pro support, there is no longer any reason to fight moving on to Lightroom for me.

It is really unfortunate as I have long been one of NX2's biggest supporters.

The communication direct from NIK is that there is not going to be any plan to introdocue Color Efex Pro 4 into the NX2 environment. The fact that Color Efex Pro 3 was not also upgraded to 64 bit architecture means the only reason that I was going to stay with Capture NX2, imbeded Color Efex Pro, is now over. With no indication that there will be an NX3 or Color Efex Pro support, there is no longer any reason to fight moving on to Lightroom for me.

It is really unfortunate as I have long been one of NX2's biggest supporters.

I wonder if NIK would consider simply recompiling Efex Pro 3 to 64 bit? If not, they will have to stop selling Efex for Capture NX version entirely.

As an aside, for batch processing and DAM LR3 it's a fantastic tool, but I chose to go with CS5+ACR+Bridge for my Canon RAW's since it has everything I need including the all-important clone tool ... and I only do one-off edits.

Additional info from my installation experience.

I chose to install the 64 Bit version on top of the 32 Bit version on my new computer. It didn't require that I uninstall the NX2.2.8.

Had I chosen to update the 32 Bit version it probably would have been a "normal" update.

However, in my case it asked for my NX1 to NX2 upgrade number.

Having given this I expected it to then ask for the legacy NX1 number - it didn't.

DG

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom