NX2.3 Released

No. I was just saying that UAC is more important than AV. I.E., do not disable UAC in any instance.

It is the #1 reason for the improvement in security on the Windows platform. Macs have always had the equivalent and this cannot be disabled.

The best configuration to run any computing platform is to run with the least possible privileges.
You set up an admin user, "root" in the Unix world, that has all rights for when you want to do specific tasks and then for your day to day use, you use another account with ordinary privileges.
Whenever working with the regular user account, you can type in the root password when needed, similar to "sudo" in the Unix world.

This is basic computer security and now that Windows has finally caught up with this, the platform is a lot more secure.

OK. Understood.

But Now I need a bit more guidance in setting up an "admin" account. When I turned on the laptop for the first time, I was prompted to give it a name and password, which I did. Now, whenever I boot it up, I'm prompted for that password. Would this then be the "admin" account or not?

If it IS NOT the "admin" account, how do I establish one?

If it IS the admin account, how do I establish "another account with ordinary privileges"?

Finally, if I then have multiple accounts on the computer, how do I switch between them, if necessary?

Sorry, although I'm an experienced Windows user, I've never shared a computer with anyone else, so never set up multiple accounts. On top of that, this is my first experience with Windows 7 (having used XP and Vista previously). Hence, these basic questions.

Thanks for your patience!

No, you are misunderstanding. UAC is good if you can put up with the hassles of it. In your case, go ahead & get Microsoft's Security Essentials & run that full time in the background. Make sure you have Window's Firewall running in the background. Go ahead & get Malwarebytes if you wish(I have it also) but don't allow it to run fulltime in the background because it will conflict with MSE. Just run scans with it when needed.

Thanks for the clarification! :smile:

OK. Understood.

But Now I need a bit more guidance in setting up an "admin" account. When I turned on the laptop for the first time, I was prompted to give it a name and password, which I did. Now, whenever I boot it up, I'm prompted for that password. Would this then be the "admin" account or not?

If it IS NOT the "admin" account, how do I establish one?
The first account setup is the "admin" account.

If it IS the admin account, how do I establish "another account with ordinary privileges"?
See here. Follow the steps for a "Workgroup" and use the "Show All" option to see the details.

Finally, if I then have multiple accounts on the computer, how do I switch between them, if necessary?
Just log out of one and log into the other.

Sorry, although I'm an experienced Windows user, I've never shared a computer with anyone else, so never set up multiple accounts. On top of that, this is my first experience with Windows 7 (having used XP and Vista previously). Hence, these basic questions.
No problem, the principles are the same ... especially with Vista. Windows 7 seems to be simply "Vista Optimised". There isn't any fundermental difference between the two from what I have seen.

I.E., do not disable UAC in any instance.

Knowing how people can sometimes take things they read on the web from "internet experts" of dubious pedigree :m28: a bit too literarily, note that there are some older software that just will not install on Win7 when UAC is active.
In those instances, you obviously want to disable it, install the software, and reactivate it afterwards. :wink:

George, I've just cropped some edited and unedited NEFs and it's pretty quick. That's on Windows Vista.

Slightly OT

Everybody's talking about installing v2.3. I'm more interested in learning how to use it. Does anyone know of any courses in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada aria? There are lots on Photoshop and Elements but I can't find any on Capture. I have Jason Odell's book and DVDs but I'm more a person to person student.

Bruce

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Knowing how people can sometimes take things they read on the web from "internet experts" of dubious pedigree :m28: a bit too literarily, note that there are some older software that just will not install on Win7 when UAC is active.
In those instances, you obviously want to disable it, install the software, and reactivate it afterwards. :wink:

This is not so. There is no such software. UAC introduces a warning, you can approve the installation. It doesn't prevent installation if you allow it.

There is software that won't install on Windows 7 64 bit, e.g. old 16 bit software. But it won't install regardless of UAC.

Please ignore advice to turn off UAC, it is far better to leave it on. And of course you want your firewall on and your MSE running.

This is not so. There is no such software.

Petty issue to argue about but suffice to say that it is quite a leap to basically state that "there is no such software in the whole wide world!"

Well, I know of at least one Visual Studio based application that will prove you wrong but I think we may well be really off topic at this point.

Since 2.3 is here, 3.0 must be on its way! As Bob Dylan once wrote:

They say ev’rything can be replaced
From the west unto the east
Any day now, any day now
I shall be released

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It has taken what, 4-5 years, to get from 2.0 to 2.3. At that rate we have about 10 to go till 3.0. Most of us will be shooting with a Nikon D1,000,000 by then, with as many megapixels.

3.0 will introduce a host of new features:
1) Touch-screen and voice control... of course
2) Composition wizard... when in the field you point the camera in the general direction you think the shot may be and say "take shot". Back home you answer a few questions (via voice recognition, of course) and 3.0 chooses a crop, fakes the proper lighting, clones out extraneous clutter, and produces a masterpiece
3) Most importantly Camera Control Pro has a "Plus" option. For around $1k you can get mind control, you simply plop the camera out in the middle of nowehere, and it contacts you telepathically when it "sees" something worth shooting.

This info was apparently posted at Flickr. I can't find the original post so I'm copying the copy:

"Great news Windows 7 64-bit guys with CEP3
If you installed the 32-bit CNX2-2.3.0. Go to "Program Files (x86)\Nikon"
"Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon" and create a backup copy of each "Capture NX 2" folder. Then run the install again. You will be prompted if you are sure you want to install even though you have the same version - choose yes and 64-bit. Run CNX2 with your serial and exit.

Go to the "Program Files (x86)\Nikon"

"Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon" and rename the "Capture NX 2" e.g. "Capture NX 2_leftovers_x64" just in case, then copy the backup version and name it "Capture NX 2" in each folder. If you had a shortcut on desktop or wherever it should be still there only without an icon, if not, create one to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\Capture NX 2\Capture NX 2.exe" and run it, and voila! you have both versions coexisting, running and CEP3 if needed running in the 32-bit CNX2!

Of course this is at your own risk! My run smoothly although I don't see any speed improvement between these two

P.S.

It might be safer/better to make backup of the whole Nikon folders since the 64-bit also installs e.g. picturecontrol 64-bit etc.
I ran a test suggested by /photos/jackho9/ /photos/jackho9/with both versions of CNX 2.3.0 - the result :
x86 1:20
x64 1:06
After some calculations, how much time it could save me, I decided not to keep the x64 even though it is faster
Originally posted 28 hours ago. (permalink)
PiotrAF. edited this topic 24 hours ago. "

DG

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom