1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NX2:Gen - Availability- Released: Nik Software Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Vienna Pics, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Now the release of Nikon software is completed!

On the Nik Software site - the quietly announced 'Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2' is now available and includes a 30-day free trail. This is not the CS/PhotoShop version - this is for NX 2. The CS product is called 'Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements'.

Also, I see NX 2 is back on the Nik site and they also bundle these two products.

http://www.niksoftware.com/cepnx/usa/entry.php

So, who has already downloaded this new software and can provide comments - I will not be able to until later tonight.

Here is the news release:

http://www.niksoftware.com/company/usa/entry.php?info=company/pressroom/cep3_nx2.shtml

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Color Efex Pro™ 3.0 for Capture NX 2 Software Now Available
    Award-winning Color Efex Pro 3.0 digital photographic filters adds creative power and innovative control into Capture NX 2

San Diego, CA - July 7, 2008 - Nik Software Inc. today announced the immediate availability of their award-winning Color Efex Pro 3.0 photographic filters for Capture NX 2, the latest version of Nikon's flagship photo editing software. Color Efex Pro 3.0 is the most comprehensive, powerful, and easy to use set of photographic filters used by photo enthusiasts and professional photographers worldwide. Color Efex Pro 3.0 tightly integrates into the powerful tools and completely non-destructive workflow of Capture NX 2.

Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 offers digital SLR camera owners a wide range of quick and easy ways to dramatically enhance their photos with just a few clicks of the mouse. Recently awarded the prestigious 2008 Hot One Award from Professional Photographer magazine, Color Efex Pro 3.0 contains the most comprehensive set of creative enhancements, color correction, retouching tools, and traditional photographic filter effects available.

Nik Software's patented U Point® technology in Capture NX 2 provides easy-to-use tools for direct on-image control of filter effects and enhancements. Applying filters to specific areas of a photo can be achieved easily using just a few mouse clicks without the need to create complicated selections and layer masks. Color Efex Pro 3.0 combined with the integrated U Point technology powered tools in Capture NX 2 offers users unprecedented control over selective image enhancements and effects.

"Unlike using plug-ins in Photoshop which require controls located in a separate interface, enhancements are made directly on the image in real-time and non-destructively in Capture NX 2," said Michael J. Slater, president and CEO of Nik Software, Inc. "This tight integration dramatically simplifies enhancing images and offers photographers a powerful photo editing solution," Slater concluded.

Color Efex Pro 3.0 adds nine powerful new filters that increase the traditional and stylistic range of the collection. New filters include Bleach Bypass, Cross Balance, Film Effects, Film Grain, Glamour Glow, High Key, Low Key, Polaroid Transfer, and Tonal Enhancer. Previously available filters have also been updated to provide even more options. Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 has 52 filters, with a possibility of over 250 effects available. A complete filter list can be found at: www.niksoftware.com/cep3fornx2.

Pricing & Availability

Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 is available immediately via electronic purchase in the United States from www.niksoftware.com in two editions:

Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 Complete Edition (52 filters total): $179.95
    Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 Select Edition (35 filters total): $99.95
    Users who own a version of Color Efex Pro 2.0 for Capture NX can upgrade by visiting www.niksoftware.com/cepnxupgrade.

Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 is compatible with Windows and Macintosh operating systems, including Vista and Leopard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Nik has added 9 'new' fileters toColor Efex Pro 3.0 according to:

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?view=intro/cep3_filters.shtml

Color Efex Pro 3.0 Interface

Color Efex Pro 2.0 users will notice the extensively reworked interface in version 3.0, the result of both deep study into the look and feel that professional photographers expect in modern applications and requests from Nik Software users.

The new, completely resizable interface is a professional photographic tool: color-neutral with a medium-gray background and a strong focus on efficient workflow. Color Efex Pro 3.0 groups major controls close together for greater efficiency, letting you achieve excellent results in less time.

And from:

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?view=intro/interface.shtml

Color Efex Pro 3.0 Interface

Color Efex Pro 2.0 users will notice the extensively reworked interface in version 3.0, the result of both deep study into the look and feel that professional photographers expect in modern applications and requests from Nik Software users.

The new, completely resizable interface is a professional photographic tool: color-neutral with a medium-gray background and a strong focus on efficient workflow. Color Efex Pro 3.0 groups major controls close together for greater efficiency, letting you achieve excellent results in less time.

Do you think I have been waiting - you betcha!!

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have been using the CS3 version for several months - it is probably the most useful plugin out there. Very few of my images don't benefit from something it has to offer.

4. I've been using the Photoshop version of Color Efex 3.0 while still using NX (Soon to be NX2) for most of my PP. In fact, just about the only time that I use PSE5 is to use the Nik filters.

I would love to purchase Efex 3.0 for NX2 to streamline my workflow, but couldn't justify owning 2 full versions.

Does anyone know of any available "sidegrade" to go from the Photoshop version to the NX2 version?

Thanks!

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Bert, You might want to send NIK an email asking about this sidgrade - supportus@niksoftware.com

6. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    WOW! thanks for the link and headsup. I purchased the NX version of Color Efex 3 months ago and was not notified of this upgrade. They did issue an upgrade of V2 that is compatible with NX2 and I downloaded and have been using that with no problems. now i need to see if i qualify for a free upgrade to 3.0 for NX. hope so..... really like the filters (i bought the "Select" version).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Have you tried the OnOne software? I bought OnOne PhotoSuite 4 and really like it. This weekend, I downloaded the trial of the current Color Efex, but I just don't like it. The U-point stuff is interesting and I can definitely see getting Viveza, but I think that PhotoTools from OnOne does a much better job than Color Efex 3.

For example, color tone and correction features on PhotoTools seems much more accurate than Efex (and that's without going into the separate PhotoTune software for color correction).

8. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    I'm tempted. I don't use Photoshop, and do own Capture NX 2. I'd rather keep my image manipulation in one app. I think I'll try the trial tonight. The good news is, my wife thinks it's cool and encouraged me to try the trial version! :) 

9. If you decide that you don't like it, don't let her know that. While you've got her warmed up to the idea of spending money, tell her that you'd like something else even better, such as a new lens. :biggrin:

10. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    LOL... I'm tapped out on equipment money... I think I've got what I need, except maybe a macro (I have a 500D for my 70-200 for now). Maybe in 6 months. :) 

11. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Has anyone upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0 or downloaded the demo? I am curious as to any improvements in the NX version. I have 'select' v2.0 for NX2 and all i see in the upgrade docs is 2 new filters that i do not need. it does not seem worth the $50. Especially since I purchased it just 3 months ago.

12. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Tomas, I downloaded the complete version. It loaded very quickly with no errors. Then I promptly left on a business trip. I plan to dive into in the software today and this weekend.

13. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I gave the software/filters a try this weekend - looks like I will be adding Efex to my workflow (as needed).

14. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    thanks mark,

unless i hear that there are some major interface or internal processing alrorithm improvements from 2.0 to 3.0 (select), i am passing on handing over another $50 to them. Their sales department has been less than helpful when I tried to get info or a free upgrade as a recent purchaser.
    (i do like and use the v2.0 filters for NX2)

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I heard through the grapevine back in March that a new version of NX and Efex were coming out so I have not used 2.0 to be able to tell you if there are any speed improvement. They did add filters to the complete package which may or maynot be items that you would use.

16. I've owned CEP 2.0 for NX for almost a year and it has become almost a standard part of the NX package to me. I bought the complete version, even though I'm just a hobbyist, because I really enjoyed the creativity boost it gave me.

When NX2 came out, before CEP 2.0 for NX2, I felt like I had a flat tire. But when CEP 2.0 for NX2 was made available, it added so much more control with the Control Points that it was Christmas in June.

When they announced CEP 3.0 for NX2 and that I could upgrade to Select for $50 or Complete for $100, I decided to give it a try. The idea of forking out another $100 versus staying with what I have will take a bit of convincing.

So far, I've tested a few existing 2.0 filters against the new 3.0 versions.

The most significant changes I see so far are:
    The polarizer filter in 3.0 seems to have a better formula that gives improved results.

The lighten/darken filter in 3.0 allows you to selectively place the center of the effect.

The initial presentation of many of the filters are at more pleasing settings (I'm not sure if the forumulas are any different or if it's just a more pleasing default) Such as the Morning filter, now the strenght defaults to around 20% strength rather than 50%. I'm going to test this some more to see if the default might change based upon the image it is being used upon.

The new filter effects that are really appealing to me are:
    Film Effects (lots of interesting nuanced choices)
    Tonal Contrast (provides a lot of extra control over shadows, midtones and highlights)

Since I don't do much portrait work, many of the other filters go unused by me.

I'll do some more testing and update my findings.

17. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    thanks for the update T.
    the polarizer filter needed a tweak. i never like the effect in 2.0 and it seemed to create a lot of noise.
    the new film effects filter sounds interesting.
    but overall it does not sound like a major upgrade from v2.0 for NX2, so i am passing on forking over more dinero.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.