1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NX2:GEN - Commands - Cache controls don't work

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by jhwalker, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Is it only me? Setting an image cache size limit does nothing - cache continues to grow until hard disk is out of space :-( on both Mac and Windows.

For example, I set a 3GB limit on both of my laptops (one Mac, one Windows) and moved on. Today, I started getting low disk space warnings on my Mac. Upon investigation, I found 15GB of NX2 image cache in use! I subsequently verified this behavior on my PC, as well.

To make matters worse, the "Clear Cache" button doesn't work either, so you have to manually delete the files to release the space.

What's up with that?

2. I haven't reached the low disk space plateau yet but yes, I've hit that Clear Cache button several times and not seen one single file disappear. Even tried clearing cache in ViewNX - doesn't work there either.

3. On Win Vista, where do I find the cache?

4. Of course! It must be the heat--or a senior moment! Thanks Tom.

5. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Very odd. It didn't work for me in NX and doesn't work in NX2 - I kept hoping that NX2 would fix the issue, but no joy. Other than that, no issues in either Windows or Mac.

6. This is interesting stuff. Thanks to this thread, I decided to check out the details of my cache. My operating system is Vista Home Premium.

Browser Cache
    I have often noticed that clearing the Browser Cache using the Preferences dialog box often requires clicking the "clear" button twice to reduce the megabytes to zero. When I cleared the cache to zero just now, none of the files in the cache folder were deleted. I wonder if that's because the folder storing the Browser Cache is different than the folder storing the Editing Cache.

Editing Cache
    When I clear the Editing Cache using the Preferences dialog box no change is apparent in the dialog, which I would expect. However, when I redraw the Windows screen showing the files in the cache folder, the files remain unchanged. Moreover, there were (are) 633 files even though my cache is set to 3 GB or 102 files.

What's up with that? Fortunately, I have plenty of space on my external hard drive and haven't come close to filling up the cache. However, if the files continue to increase in the cache, it will eventually fill up. I assume that NX performs slower if it has to delete the oldest cache files when adding the newest files, but of course I really have no idea about that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.