NX2:Gen - Commands - CNX2 and Image Rotation

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by mphillips, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mphillips

mphillips

Jul 8, 2008
    South Africa
    Hi There

I am hoping that someone could help me with understanding what I refer to as the Image Roatation flag in CNX2.

What I see happening it that when I take a picture with the D300 the flag is set as, for example, Clockwise 90, which is correct.

Thus when I download it into IDimager it gets correctly rotated portrait.

I then edit and save with CNX2 and the image rotation flag changes to Normal, as CNX2 re writes the JOPG thumbnail even though the image is still a portrait one.

That means that when I update the thumb in IDimager (The program just refreshes the thumbnail JPG using DCRAW I think and doesn't re read all the EXIF/IPTX/XMP data) the image turns on its side and display incorrectly.

Am I understanding this isuue correctly and any advice ?

TIA

MikeP

2. Mike, I have no idea how to help you other than to ask if the situation you describe consistently happens. The reason I ask is that my experience is that though View NX, Capture NX, Capture NX2 and IDI almost always read the correct orientation, sometimes all of them will get it intermittently wrong. It's so intermittent that when one of them gets it wrong, the others will get it right on the very same image. By the way, that was also true when I was trial using Digital Pro.

I decided that it's simply not worth worrying about because it's so intermittent. Instead, I simply correct the few erratic images within the software that is not reading it correctly.

3. mphillips

mphillips

Jul 8, 2008
    South Africa
    Hi Mike

I will try some more but I have found it quite consistent.

Its after performing an edit step in CNX2.

If you have Previews switched OFF in idimager then idimager reads the Orientation correctly.

But if you have previews switched on then idimager "remembers" the orientation flag from the download and rotates the image to that flag - which has now changed.

In idimager you have an option to Use Quick Rotation. If you switch that off then idimager will read the edited NEFS correctly BUT will not rotate correctly on import.

I will try some more but I have been using idimager, exifgui and cnx2 to see the rotation flag and have found that it changes after being saved in CNX2.

I will post a movie to show what I mean.

Regards

MikeP

4. mphillips

mphillips

Jul 8, 2008
    South Africa
    Hi Mike

I have posted a video at:
    http://mikeandmorag.co.za/idImager/CNX2_Orientation/CNX2_Orientation.html

You can see that all i did in CNX was colorise- not cropping or resizing etc..

I am not sure that is is correct for CNX to change the orientation flag. If I was holding the camera at 90 Deg then surely it should stay that way ?

Regards

MikeP
    Regards

MikeP

5. Mike, a couple of things...

You mention that this situation occurs after adding an "edit step" within CNX2. I don't remember the exact terminology and don't have CNX2 on the computer I'm using right now, but does it occur if you only alter one of the camera adjustments that is technically not called an edit step?

I've gotta also ask an obvious question that I'm sure you have already considered, but does the situation occur if you sync the catalogued files in IDimager after the change is made in CNX2? I would think the sync would be the update that is needed to make IDimager "forget" the orientation that took place at the time of the download.

Thanks for the heads up. This time I'm gonna pop some popcorn. :biggrin:

By the way, sorry that your message was posted for a week before I saw it. I've been preoccupied with hosting the Collective Shoot and figuring out how to correct my operator-error issues when using IDimager.