NX2 Gen: Fisheye

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by bradNYC, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Anyone know if NX2 will straighten out a fisheye exposure specifically the 10.5?Thanks.

2. Yes, it makes the image created by either the 10.5mm of the 16mm "appear to have been taken with a wide-angle rectilinear lens."

You might also want to take a look at the Fish-eye Hemi plug in for PhotoShop. Go to the company's website to see the advantage of its technology over the Capture NX2 technolgy: http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks Mike, would I use Distortion Control or some other function to create the rectilinear image in NX2?

4. No, not distortion control.

When editing an image produced by a 10.5mm or 16mm fisheye lens, the Fisheye Lens tool appears within the Camera & Lens Correction section of NX2. (It does not appear when editing an image produced by any other lens.) You use that tool to convert the fisheye image to a rectilinear image.

5. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Mike, I really appreciate your help. WOW like magic NX2 knows!!! Thanks again.

6. Coop

Coop

Feb 9, 2006
    Holyoke, Mass.
    The correction results in NX2 are somewhat dreadful compared to the image trends plugin. They've got a free trial, give it a try and compare the results to NX2.

7. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    The rectilinear smear you get with NX correction is not worth it to me. That is not to mention how much it chops off at the horizonal edge. Use the fisheye for what it is and then get a actual rectilinear wide angle and you will be set. I will say that over time you will learn how to "tame" or "harness" the fisheye so that all you will need is the hemi soft for PS if you want a slight correction. That is my .02...

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Just so I'm clear, is this the plugin for PS?

http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

9. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    thank you all, you've all been helpful...

one last request...anyone have a pic of the 10.5 lenscap?

10. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Tom, thanks for the advice. You can be sure I'll be tapping ALL OF YOU for advice as I plan to pick up the 10.5 tomorrow. This is all so new to me.

12. Tom, that's fascinating information that I've never seen mentioned here or elsewhere.

13. :biggrin: That's why he has a double name---tomTom!!!!!:biggrin:

14. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  15. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

intresting de fishing!however ill take my fishy pics as i takem.for a more rectilinier view why not just use a rectilinier wide angel

16. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    won't argue there, I bought the 10.5 for the effect but it's nice to know that I can defish if I wanted to...also, for me it was either tokina 11-16 or the fish, not both

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.