NX2:Gen - How to Use Watch Points?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by NewBert, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've been using NX and NX2 for awhile now, and feel that I'm getting better at it, However, I'm sure that I'm still not using it to its greatest potential. I undertand the use of color control points and selection control points. However, one of the areas that I still don't quite understand is the concept of Watch Points.

Can anyone explain what Watch Points are, and how they are used in post-processing in a practical sense?

Thanks!

2. Gaius

Gaius

Jul 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Bert:

One example of watch points is as follows: Not long back, I was editing some mountain snow scenes taken under a blue sky. The snow tends to pick up blue from the sky resulting in a color cast which was more pronounced in the foreground than on the mountains in the background.

I set watch points on the foreground, in the middle of the scene, and on the mountains. When I adjusted White Balance, I watched the numbers so that as I reduced the blue in the foreground, I did not drive the snow on the mountains to red.

Watch points can be used similarly in many curve operations.

Jim

3. Thanks for that explanation, Jim.

4. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Bert-
    Unless you are doing serious offset printing and need to target a particular color value numerically, Watch Points aren't commonly used. I've even asked the Nikon/Nik guys if there is any "killer app" for Watch Points (I couldn't come up with any practical uses) and they didn't have any suggestions. ;)

-Jason

5. Thanks Jason - I guess that I haven't been missing much then. :smile: