1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NX2:Gen - Installation - When to de-install NX1

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Stephan54, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bought the upgrade NX2, I know I have to enter the NX1 key and the new key. Do I have to leave NX1 on the harddrive or can I remove it. If the latter is possible at what stage is it safe to remove NX1.
    Thanks for helping me out.

2. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    When I installed NX2 and subsequently entered my license key, I still had NX 1.3 installed. It didn't ask me for my NX 1.3 license key. The other day I uninstalled NX 1.3 and the next time I started up NX2, it asked me for my V1 license key. You can uninstall at any time, just make sure you've got the key handy.

3. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Thanks, that sounds re-assuring. My camera store (usually very knowledgeable) told me the two programmes share files and I should leave NX1.3 installed.

4. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Oops... They were incorrect. You probably want to make sure NX2 works (not that you can return it) and if it does uninstall NX 1. And don't look back. :) 

5. allenoak

allenoak Guest

Just wondering ...

How were you able to purchase NX2 in the Netherlands?

I have been led to believe that the Nikon Mall site is the only one with a purchase option and that it will not accept credit cards and addresses outside the US.

Thanks.

6. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    The Nikon site says there is documentation with it, but in my boxed version there was none. So I contacted Nikon, who wondered how I could have an official version. Long story short: the pro dealer in Rotterdam got an early shipment (before the official date) so they will supply the documentation later.
    Bootom line: Legal copy

7. Blacksmith

Blacksmith

Jun 15, 2008
    Scotland
    If you uninstall NX prior to entering the NX2 key, the next time you start NX2 and use the 'Enter key code' feature, it will ask for both keys.

If you remove NX before installing the trial then enter your key code, it will also ask for both keys.

8. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Fred, thanks for the information. I do not have a trial version, but a boxed upgrade.

9. Beware

Teensy problem here worth noting.

Installed NX2 upgrade, made note of serial from NX 'About' screen and unistalled NX.

Oh dear. Started NX2 but it then asked for the NX serial. In the dialogue the Name and Company boxes were blank and would not accept input. At this point I discover that the 'About' screen leaves off the last 5 digits of the serial and I have to hunt for half an hour to find the safe place I put the serial that came in the D3 box.

Having found the numbers I enter them but it will not activate the OK button because there is nothing in the 'Name' box and you can't enter anything.

Eventually I discover that I have to re-register the upgrade first so that it has a 'Name'. After that it comes up with the request for the NX serial but with my name in the 'Name' box.

Done. Success. Gin and Tonic. :803:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.