NX2 Gen: Load settings starts unwanted batch process

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Neige, Aug 9, 2008.

1. All of a sudden NX2 has started to act weird. This morning I was trying to edit some images. I have certain settings files that I apply usually with no problem. However, today when I went to add my settings the batch process dialog box appeared, which it never has before. I tried several different settings files and the result was the same.

At one point it listed two files to apply the batch process to when there was only one open. The other one was one I had just completed. If I go in and add each adjustment separately all is fine; just no settings file.

I then saved a settings file using only one adjustment. When I tried to apply that setting file to a new image the batch process came up again.

I closed down NX, I closed View. I rebooted the machine. Opened only NX. Still this weird behavior.

My irritation level with Nikon software is rising fast. My last post in this forum was about how I had finally gotten some speed in NX2 using Tom's tutorial. Then I installed a new version of ViewNX and the speed disappeared.

Following that post I uninstalled all Nikon software, uninstalled the .NET framework (all versions), uninstalled the C++ libraries. Then I reinstalled them all in the order of the tutorial and my speed improvement came back.

I've added ViewNX and Transfer back. ViewNX crashes about every five minutes. I am lucky if I can track down one photo to edit before it crashes. Then it will be fine for about 20 minutes then crash and then crash again on start. Transfer is okay. And now Capture NX2 is wanting to run batches on its own. And the speed improvement has disappeared again.

Extremely frustrated. I don't know where to go with this.

2. Stilson, I can't tell you how frustrated I would be if that happened to me.

I disagree with Tom that Capture NX does everything that View NX does. Capture NX isn't nearly as effective at culling images because it doesn't allow superquick viewing parts of the image at 100% while also viewing all of the rest of the image. Many of the important operations of ViewNX perform much faster than Capture NX.

You might want to take a look at IDimager if View NX continues to cause you problems. IDimager does everything View NX and Transfer does and much, much more. The basic version, which satisfies most needs, costs only $69. The high-end version costs $129. Neither price is as attractive as the free cost of View NX and Transfer, but IDimager is more robust, performs faster and has the best support I have ever seen, which is provided by the person who authors the program. And if you're interested in it, we have a thread here at the cafe where we discuss it: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177312

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Thanks Tom and Mike. I'm trying to figure out if I have some weird programs or dll's that interfere either with NX or View. I'll look at IDimager and I might also look at Photo Mechanic, though I don't want to spend $150 to do what a free program does most of.

After fiddling with computers for almost 30 years I'm pretty convinced that Computer Science is actually a black art.