NX2:Gen - Performance - NX2 better?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Bearmont, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Is the new NX version (just found out about this) resolve the issues it seems everyone had with the first version i.e slowness, ....slownesss...Opinions? I literally stopped using my D300 because of this and shot only with my D200.

2. I cannot imagine not using my D300. NX2 works fine on my machine and it is 4 years old. It is not the fastest kid on the block, but well worth it for the results I get.

Nancy

3. There is a wealth of information in the sub category (Nikon Capture NX) that can help with your set up and configuration of NX2. I'd suggest reading it and comping back with more questions. In particular read the Sticky.

4. Never used NX but I find the speed of NX2 acceptable. I find raw conversion using Lightroom is faster but NX2 gives me better results. As I don't have to process hundreds of images a day I find the time issue of lesser importance.

5. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    not much

I didn't see much of a speed improvement with NX2. Still very slow on my machine, which admittedly is behind the curve (Athlon 2800 and 1GB).

6. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Thanks for the opinions folks...outta curiousity which photography programs can open D300 RAW files? Any recomendations?

7. I recommend taking advantage of the 60-day trial version to see for yourself, but only after following Tom's tutorial currently located in the Capture NX sticky area that Nick mentioned. That's because the perceptions vary depending on the users' understandably subjective impressions, the technical specifications of the computer, how you configure NX2 caches, etc.

8. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    thanks for that tip...I've just been really frustrated with the speed of NX; as many users seem to be. It just puts a damper on my editing knowing I'm going to have to deal with that element.

9. My oh my. Tom, you have now opened a real can of worms. :biggrin:

10. Well, thank you Tom, on behalf of women everywhere. I could not have said it better myself:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
    Nancy