NX2:Gen - Related product - Any Thoughts on Nik Color Efex 3.0 For Nx2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by BillM, Jul 12, 2008.

1. With Capture NX2 performing well on my computer. I downloaded Nik Color Efex 3.0 and am giving it a try.

So far there is a lot to like. There is a lot to like in Capture NX2 as well for that matter.

Any users out there to convince me to part with another $180?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  2. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    I bought my copy yesterday, so not much help :)
    I did try the Color Efex 2 with NX1.3 and I hope 3.0 is at least as good.

3. I'm curious. How does one use it? What is it for?

Thanks

4. Rich,

It has a bunch of filters and effects. Some of which you can sort of do in CNX2 without any add ons and others like the "White Neutralizer" that removes color casts from the brighter objects in a picture and the "Color Cast Remover" which works over the whole picture that seem to have a lot of potential.

One of my problems is that I work between CNX2 and CS3 and I don't want to buy both.

Check out http://www.niksoftware.com/cepnx/usa/entry.php for the official marketing spin on the product.

Warm Regards,

5. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    The advantage of working in NX is that you can stay in the NEF format, which is much smaller than creating layered TIFFs/PSD files in Photoshop. With versions in NX, you can have multiple image variants in a single NEF file.

Of course, Photoshop now has smart filters, which helps keep files small, but a 20MB NEF beats a 70MB TIFF any time in my book.

-Jason

6. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Would NX2 give you most of what the other (NIK) provides? I do not have either of these yet, just the original NX that came with D3.

7. Hi there I am a long term user of Nik Software, I use Aperture, CS3, Elements 6, NX2 and Lightroom on a Mac. Which combination I use depends on what my end result is to be - Archive print - web circulation - home print etc.
    I have used ColorEfex Pro 2 & 3, Viveza, Silver Efex Pro, Sharpener 2 and Dfine 2 and still do.

ColorEfex Pro 3 and Viveza are to me the most useful and I regard both as essential tools. And Bill from what you are describing I would take a serious look at Viveza. I can thoroughly recommend both - they are money well spent. Don't forget ALL Nik software comes with a 15 day free trial period which is very useful.

8. Color Efex Pro is some software that is used in combination with NX2 but cannot be used stand-alone. The older 2.0 version is for use with NX.

9. Thanks Jason,

I tried a smart filter with Viveza the other day and wound up with a 240MB file. Even after flattening the layers it was 70MB TIFF like you said.

Coming from a D70 I used to think 20MB .NEF's from CNX were bad, but now I see the advantages of staying with the .NEF format. I am also liking CNX2 a lot the more I use it.

Thanks Andy,

I bought and paid for Viveza within 30 minutes of trying it out. Thankfully it is part of CNX2 and I don't have to buy another copy.

I've been trying Color EFEX 3.0 for the last two days and am very impressed so far.

Stephanie,

CNX2 is a very good product as far as I can tell. On Vista the performance is good and it is hands down the best tool for managing Nikon Raw Files (.nef). CNX and CNX2 seems to have all of the features of Viveza built in. Nik's Color EFEX 3.0 is collection of filters that seem very useful and look to be time savers. The Color EFEX 3.0 filters are not part of CNX2. There is a version of CFEX 3.0 for CNX2 and there is one for Photoshop and programs like Aperture which will use the Photoshop Plug-ins.

The filters are in two sets "Stylizing" which don't do a whole lot for me and "Traditional" which I am really liking. They are quick and easy to use. The "graduated neutral density", "color cast remover", "white neutralizer", "Pro-Contrast" and "Reflector Effects" stand out to me right now as very effective tools.

Thanks to everyone for responding. It looks like I will probably be paying for the CNX2 version this week. Lightroom will still be the choice for JPEG files, but so far CNX2 is the top of the heap when it comes to .NEF files.

Warm Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008