NX2 NEF problem...Jason...Anybody????

ok,

I shot a wedding last night for a family member.

Downloaded both the jpegs and NEFs from my D3 last night.

Today, I am unable to open the NEFs in either NX or NX2-- it begins rendering, gets to about 2/3 on the progress bar, and NX stops working.

I can open the NEFS fine in PSCS3--

I have had no prior issues with NX and NX2 working on this computer (Running Vista), I tried opening the NEFS directly from the CF card as well as from the file I downloaded onto my hard drive-- even tried uninstalling NX and NX2 and reinstalling.

Even NEFS that I had opened before and worked on are not opening.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

disk image/thumbnail cache may well be the problem. NX does not manage them very well. i go into explore and delete them periodically. the 'clear cache' option in NX2 does not seem to work for me.

The 'editing' cache is controlled by the user (i forget what the default is) under: Edit, Preferences, Cache Settings.
The thumbnail cache (on Windows) is buried in a hidden directory called ThumbnailCache. On my XP machine it is under C:/Documents and Settings/..... about 6 directories deep.

Exact location on XP is:

\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nikon\Capture NX

Here are two directories you need to manually clear once in a while.

Exact location on XP is:

\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nikon\Capture NX

Here are two directories you need to manually clear once in a while.

On my computer (WinXP) the hierarchy is C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Application Data\Nikon\Capture NX 2. But in that folder I find only one file: application.cfg, presumably a configuration file. And I do have the option "show hidden files" checked.

:confused:

Jim,

That location is for the settings file. The location I mention contains the two cache directories. One for the images and one for the thumbnails.

Jim,

That location is for the settings file. The location I mention contains the two cache directories. One for the images and one for the thumbnails.

Thanks, Kees; I found the two cache files for Capture NX, but none for NX2, which I have used exclusively for the last two months. The most recent file in the NX "Cache" folder was dated 2/3/2008.

Marke,

To check where NX2 cache is currently stored.
Open NX2, click Edit then select Preferences, Cache Settings.

I have mine on a different drive.
101161729.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Also I clean my cache folder manually. Never have tried the buttons. :redface:

MikeT

tom,

Oh! My bad. :redface:
I though we are talking about the cache which I posted a screen shot of. I went back and read all the posts again. I see in ThomaS post he states:
The 'editing' cache is controlled by the user (i forget what the default is) under: Edit, Preferences, Cache Settings.
The thumbnail cache (on Windows) is buried in a hidden directory called ThumbnailCache. On my XP machine it is under C:/Documents and Settings/..... about 6 directories deep.

Looking on my Vista machine I find the cache on the following paths:
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Nikon\Capture NX\Cache
and
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Nikon\Capture NX\ThumbnailCache

It looks like NX2 is using the same cache path as NX1. I never had NX1 installed on my machine.

Thanks for pointing that out tom.

MikeT

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom