1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NX2 Still Crashing on Windows XP Notebook

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by GHervey, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I am incredibly frustrated.

NX 2 will simply not run on my Windows XP Pro notebook. It runs fine on my Windows Vista desktop.

I have read all the posts on the subject on this forum, which were very informative. I followed all the instructions. I completely uninstalled NX and NX2, and I wiped out the various dot net framework installs and installed the recommend dot net files, more than once, per the instructions on this site. I waited a loooong time in the install process to make sure that the install process had worked (20 minutes should have been more than enough, right?). Nothing works. I installed the latest version of NX2 as well, version 2.1. It still crashes.

I have cleaned up my system, run virus and adware scans, emptied the Recycle Bin, run the disk defragmenter, burned incense... I have done just about everything but put the machine in the dishwasher (that's next...). It still won't run.

Here is what happens:

When I launch the program, the NX2 splash screen appears. Then it seems as though the program loads. Then the normal NX2 startup screen appears. Immediately after that, however, I get this Windows XP error:

"Capture NX 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

So, it won't even run.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. Geoffrey, are you running the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version of XP?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  3. LRogers

LRogers

Sep 3, 2008
    Delaware, US
    What service pack of xp are you on? What anti-virus software are you running? Did you have the anti-virus turned off when you installed? How much memory on your machine?

What version of Capture NX are you installing? Have you installed the full 2.0 and the update 2.0.1 then updated to 2.1.0?

Have you checked the Nikon support site for Capture NX2?

Are you installing a trial version or full version?

4. Here are some of the specs requested:

Win XP Pro Service Pack 3
    I am almost certain that I am running the 32 bit version, but I can't recall how to check. Can you remind me?

3.5GB RAM
    2.2GHz Intel Core Duo CPU

I installed the upgrade from NX to NX 2, and I had problems, then ran the version 2.0.1 update, still had problems, then ran the version 2.1 update, still had problems. I have tried it with and without NX installed.

Is this a "full" version or a trial version, I was asked? I downloaded the trial version, then bought the license key (I upgraded from NX 1). Later, I ran the version 2.0.1 and then 2.1 updates. Isn't that the full version?

Anti-Virus = AVG
    I know that I disabled the anti-virus on some of my many go-rounds, but I can't say for sure that I did it most recently. How critical is that?

5. LRogers

LRogers

Sep 3, 2008
    Delaware, US
    Well, in xp, you can go control panel, system or right click my computer and select properties. If you have XP Pro 64 bit it should list in the panel.

Not sure how critical the anti virus is. From the sounds of things, the trial/key/upgrade sequence may be the culprit.

From the Nikon site: Capture NX2 is a complete and new version, and not an update for a previous version of Capture NX. Capture NX2 keycodes will be available from Nikon authorized dealers or from the Nikon Mall around June 20th.

I don't think there is an upgrade from NX to NX2. If you bought the license key for NX2, then you want to uninstall NX. Then install NX2. Then install the upgrades in order. If the install or upgrades fail, you may need to do some registry cleanup. I would not continue forward if a piece fails.

6. It is XP 32.

Perhaps I confused things. You are correct in that there is no "upgrade" from NX to NX2. Because I already had NX, I was able to purchase NX2 for the "upgrade" price. None of this has been a problem with my desktop system. It still has NX and NX2 running happily side by side (not that I need both).

But, I am going to start from scratch on the notebook PC. I am going to rip it all out (again), download a fresh copy of NX2 from Nikon, turn off the anti-virus, and see what happens...

7. LRogers

LRogers

Sep 3, 2008
    Delaware, US
    Gotcha. I'd make sure I removed NX completely. Then just install NX2. Open it up and plug the key in. The website is a little confusing because there is a full current version of 2.1.0 and then an updater to 2.1.0 from 2.0.0-2.0.1. I suspect the updater is only needed if you started with 2.0.0 as it looks like the current full version is 2.1.0

8. Do you have any image files (particularly TIFFs) directly into your My Pictures directory , which is the default directory that NX2 is trying to open on the first launch? If so, create a subdirectory and move all those files there... then try to launch NX2 again.

I had that problem and this fix cured it: it seems that not all TIFF image files are readable by NX2...

9. Geoffrey, you mentioned that you have followed the information so you have probably seen Tom's tutorial about this issue. If not, click here.

10. Yes, thanks, Mike. I did see that, and I followed all of the instructions. No luck.

I am going to try some of the tips that others left in this thread and see what results I get.

11. Hmm, the website is indeed confusing.

The only "full" version of NX2 that I can find is the trial version, and it is dated June. Here is the link. http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1ueDI*&p_li=&p_topview=1 I did not see any other version that looks like a full version or a 2.1 version. All of the other files that I found look like "updater" files. This is what I found in that regard: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...1=42&prod_lvl2=532&p_pv=2.532&&p_prods=42,532
    Is there some other spot to which you are referring?

12. PHILIPPE FIXED IT!! YAY!!

Yes, indeed, there were a few TIF files in the My Pictures directory. I have no idea what they were; I certainly did not put them there. I moved them out and now NX2 works (for now, anyway...)

Many, many thanks! And, a MUCH easier solution that reinstalling dot net, various versions of NX2,etc.

I have a vague recollection that someone mentioned this tip somewhere in this forum, but I am not sure. If I did read it before, I clearly forgot about it.

Thanks again!

13. LRogers

LRogers

Sep 3, 2008
    Delaware, US
    Awesome, score one for Philippe and another one for the Cafe. BTW, yes the full and trial are the same. The difference is plugging in the key.

14. I figured out what the TIFF files were in my My Pictures directory.

They were sample files that were put there by ScanSoft Omni Page, which is a program that came with my office scanner. The samples are images of scanned office documents.

Sheesh! What a mess that caused. I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. What a joke!

Well problem solved, and all thanks to Phillipe and NikonCafe! PayPal donation made today!! (To Nikon Cafe, that is. Sorry, Phillipe, you just get a hearty handshake and a "job well done.")

15. No problem, Geoffrey. Yes, it was Omni Page (or perhaps Paperport, another Scansoft program) which left some apparently incompatible TIFF files in the My Pictures directory, in my case as well.

I figured that this was the problem because of what NX2 was showing on the screen: it had started to render thumbnails for some files and then stopped, but some portions of the UI were still semi-functional, so I figured a rendering thread must have died working on these files, so I decided to move them out of the way and bingo!

I am just glad I could be of help, and thanks for the Cafe donation! I bet you will like it here: post some pics soon!

16. snowskis

snowskis Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.