NX2 V2.2.7 available on UK site

With the release of the D5100 Capture NX2 V2.2.7 should arrive as soon as the camera hits the shops.

DG

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the question is, will it be wise to upgrade, unless you buy the D5100? If think a lot of people here had trouble with there Nikon license the last time it came up, if I remember right.

I did upgrade ok, but after reading about all the problems with Nikon, I've decided not to do it again, unless some real changes occur. In other words, I'm a big chicken. :smile:

Hi Bruce,

When v2.2.6 arrived I updated/upgraded successfully before posting the news here and it wasn't until later that I realised that there was a problem.

I must admit it made me think about updating my laptop because (in fairness) there was no real need.

However, about two weeks ago I updated the laptop and it went in "sweet as a nut". I made an image of my C drive first (regular maintenance) so if there ever was a good time to do it that was it. I knew that I could go back 24 hours if I needed to.

I guess that it's only those with serial numbers with less than perfect credentials need worry. My original serial number came with my D300 and my Upgrade from a boxed version from Gray's of Westminster (and I still have the printed versions). I feel sorry for those who were caused so much pain when they had genuine copies. Having sorted their problems out I guess they shouldn't have the same trouble again.

DG

I guess the question is, will it be wise to upgrade, unless you buy the D5100? If think a lot of people here had trouble with there Nikon license the last time it came up, if I remember right.

I did upgrade ok, but after reading about all the problems with Nikon, I've decided not to do it again, unless some real changes occur. In other words, I'm a big chicken. :smile:

I'm still happily running Version 2.0.0 for my D300 and D80 images. Everything runs great and, frankly, I haven't seen any need to update and risk screwing up what's already working. (Running Vista 64). When it comes to this stuff, my motto is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Bert,

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I believe that there were a few major changes to V2.2 apart from changes required for new cameras.

It's possible that you are missing out on something?

Regarding the risk of "screwing up" - taking an IMAGE of your C drive (with suitable software) before any installation allows you to return to the pre-installation state in a very short time with no "side effects".

DG

Bert,

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I believe that there were a few major changes to V2.2 apart from changes required for new cameras.

It's possible that you are missing out on something?

Regarding the risk of "screwing up" - taking an IMAGE of your C drive (with suitable software) before any installation allows you to return to the pre-installation state in a very short time with no "side effects".

DG

Thanks, Dave. AFAIK, Version 2.2 introduced some features with regard to chromatic abberation correction - perhaps some other minor enhancements as well.

To be honest, my aging eyes usually can't see chromatic abberation anyway, so I wouldn't know when it needed correcting. :biggrin:

taking an IMAGE of your C drive (with suitable software) before any installation allows you to return to the pre-installation state in a very short time with no "side effects".

DG
DG, for those of us that are not computer savvy...could you please recommend a suitable software to make an IMAGE of drive C for a windows 7 system--preferably something reasonable in cost? It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
DG, for those of us that are not computer savvy...could you please recommend a suitable software to make an IMAGE of drive C for a windows 7 system--preferably something reasonable in cost? It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Acronis True Image Home. Does exactly that, runs fine on W7 64 bit.

Put the image on another drive, which can be external.

Thanks

Acronis True Image is pretty good - just used it myself to make an image of a W7 system. It can make exact clones of drives too.

If your running Windows 7 why not look at the backup and restore software in the Maintenence file. It will mke a system image on an ext. drive and make start up disks. Anyone else using this, if not why?

Wayne

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If your running Windows 7 why not look at the backup and restore software in the Maintenence file. It will mke a system image on an ext. drive and make start up disks. Anyone else using this, if not why?

Wayne

Probably because no one would trust it without trying it, and that takes a lot of work. Microsoft don't seem to explain how it works.

If you do try the Microsoft method, please tell us how it goes when you do the restore. For example I would like to know:
1. can it restore to a new, replacement drive of a different size to the original?
2. can it restore from a USB connected drive?
3. how do those startup disks work? Are they CDs or DVDs that you have to burn yourself?
4. what operating system gets loaded by them so the restore can run?
5. do you have to install a new copy of W7 and then run the restore?

The major commercial products have thousands of users so you can be pretty sure they will work, both for backup and for the restore. In the case of Acronis TrueImage for example the answers to the above questions are:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Startup disk is standard and you create it once. It doesn't contain specific to your system.
4. Linux (or you can set it up to use Windows PE)
5. No, after the restore W7 is back to exactly how it was.

Be aware that wireless keyboards and Mice will POSSIBLY not work in a restore situation and that all restore methods will not give the same results with all OS.

They will work but sometimes not as expected.

Windows Media Centre Edition is a particularly difficult one to persuade to get going.

Even if you do not do a full restore, be sure to go as far as possible (without pushing the restore button) to make sure that there are no obvious problems.

DG

Thanks

I have used ACRONIS Migrate Easy for many years...this requires a HDD the same size or a bit larger than target Harddrive.....and it is an actual clone of the drive.....I had tried several other softwares but they all, including ones by Norton and others, left out cetain bits of files that would perpetually make the software inoperable......I did a cone of my drive with a trial copy of Migrate Easy and everything worked, Windows Office and all 3 version of Photoshop I had at the time...I did not have to re-install any of the software.....when I install new software or do a major update / upgrade it gets re-cloned...that way if my c drives bites the dust I can pop open the 'puter and drop in the clone and keep working...I would only be down for few minutes at most....Migrate Easy is ~~$30-40....great value

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom