NX2 White Balance Question

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by mikechang, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    In both Silkypix and LightRoom I used as PP software, both can adjust WB in a color temp bar and the tint.

Now in NX2, I still have to choose what type of lighting am I under, and then pick the color temp from the limited range.
    In one case, the incandescent bulb WB only goes down to 2610K, which is still far too yellow/warm in my taste, while LR2 can do it down to 2000k....

Is adjusting gray scale point the only method to get it right?
    or is there something else I can try to get the color temp lower??

2. jgatscher

jgatscher

Jul 29, 2008
    Nashville
    If you are working interactively (not using batch)....try using a neutral control point in your image. You can move the point around your image and the white balance will change accordingly....from my experience your eyes are the best instrument you have to set a WB that looks good to you.

However, this method will not work if running batch...

3. Mike, I'm not at the computer with NX2 on it, but I am certain that you can adjust the tint. I think there is a tint slider beneath the dropdown menus for the various light sources. You could select a light source that provides the temperature that you want and adjust the tint. Alternatively, you can use the the Color Balance adjustment to custom adjust the white balance. You can also use the Warmth adjustment step to alter it, though with less control.

4. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    thx for the reply guys.
    i'll try out the neutral control point next time, sounds like something that could be very useful.

i know i can always use color balance adjustments to get to the right color, but that's never as easy as sliding the color temperature bar/tint bar around.

5. Mike, this is an interesting situation that you bring to light. Now that I am at the computer with NX2 on it, I realize that none of the Kelvin temperatures go as low as you are used to using. The lowest temperature is 2380 using the sodium vapor lamp preset. You probably would have to go to the hassle of doing a custom white balance to achieve the exact look you have been getting at 2000.

6. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    Yea, none of them go as low as 2000, and even the Sodium Vapor Lamp one isn't exactly the regular incandescent bulb color.

I'm wondering if there's a way to write like a suggestion email to Nikon about this....

One other issue here, is that to adjust White Balance, I need to choose from one of the presents first...
    it is useful sometimes, but for majority of the time, I'd really prefer to just have a single color temperature bar from 2000k to 9500k
    which I can mess around, instead of being limited to the incandescent bulb 2610 - 3500(or whatever it goes to)