1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NYC - Empire Diner gone

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by kpstatz, May 11, 2011.

1. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    "After more than thirty years of serving Chelsea residents, actors, police commissioners, athletes, gangsters, such luminaries as Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Steven Spielberg, and anyone carrying a New York City Guide Book" -so their website- the Empire Diner was forced to close after losing its lease. So another iconic NY diner is gone after the Cheyenne shut down in 2008 and the Moondance in 2007.

According to the media they were supposed to serve their last meals on May 15. They were already closed, however, when I went there last Sunday.

7059426-X2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7059421-X2.jpg

A photo from happier days:

DSC5888-1-X2.jpg

2. FEDGE

FEDGE

Jan 26, 2011
    Toronto
    It's sad that places like these close down. There is so much history involved, and all to be ripped down and have another sky scraper built in it's place.

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :eek: 

It was such a great place to sit outside and people watch! What a loss...:frown:

4. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Sad to see any iconic place such as this been torn down for the sake of progress. Too bad they couldn't get it listed as a historic site to prevent its demolishing.

5. Sad to see. We still have two around here, transplanted from somewhere else in the NE.

6. Empire Diner: Then & Now

Wow, that sucks. I remember Cheyenne Diner ( a mile up ) closing a couple of years ago.

Here are my shots of the Empire Diner:
    http://dezsantana.com/?q=empire diner

And here is a Then & Now.

1972:
    [​IMG]

2012:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  7. Tavern on the Green, Empire Diner.... all my old haunts are disappearing. Does this mean I'm getting old? :Sad: Such a shame landmarks disappear.....

8. bummer, we weren't able to get there last year and it was on the 'next time' list...

9. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Very nice photos Klaus-Peter, Dez!

And don't worry, there will come a McDonalds in its place:smile:!

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice images. It's a shame to see these old standards close.

11. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    I share everybody's sentiment that it's a shame that these kind of places are forced out of business.

The Cheyenne Diner was trucked off to Birmingham, Alabama and the Moondance wound up in La Barge, Wyoming (where it basically fell apart).

Wonder what's gonna happen to the Empire Diner...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.