Critique NYC iconic view - variations

Had my 1st visit to the iconic view of Manhattan from Brooklyn this Labor Day weekend with a request from the family for shots to print for college dorm and bedroom at home. As its been done a thousand times (each day) I went for a little variety and hopefully a few unique images.
Did a sunset (no clouds :( ), a sunrise (only photographer at pier), either side of the Brooklyn Bridge, color, black and white infrared and Aerochrome Infrared to capture some variations.
I think I could shoot this location every day off the week, morning, noon and night.
Any preferences for printing? I'm thinking large and metal.
All shot with my travel kit. Panasonic GX85 + PanaLeica 8-18, Panasonic 14-35 f2.8 or 35-100 f2.8. IR shot using a Panasonic GX85 converted to full spectrum (by Kolari) and using a 720nm filter (b+w) or an IRChrome filter (Aerochrome style).

1. Nightfall
_1140999blended.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Sunrise
_1150117blended-Edit.jpg

3. Night pano. (need to fix the flare blob on left)
_1150357blended-Pano.jpg

4. Sunrise b+w IR
_1040843blended-Edit-2.jpg

5. Sunrise b+w IR 2.
_1040929blended-Edit.jpg

6. Sunset IR Aerochrome.
_1040721blended.jpg

7. Sunrise Aerochrome sunrise.
_1040856blended-Edit-Edit.jpg

Cheers
Wembley

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Love the variations!!! Large and metal is definitely the way to go! Want to make the image pop even more.......float the image on top of black metal a size larger than the print!!!! BAM! See Post #7 HERE for an example in the lower right..... T

Composition-wise, I like either #1 or 2 best and #7 is nice also. Processing-wise, I like #1 and #4. And panos #3 and 4 are quite nice also!

Real Name
Dan
All of those look great. I prefer 4 for the B&W treatment and the sky, also 7 for the colors that almost tricked me into thinking it was a fall scene.

Nice set, the nightfall shot's i've seen in the past and this one is excellent but don't recall ever seeing the sunrise shot. Really like the brilliant golds reflecting of the buildings.

Love the variations!!! Large and metal is definitely the way to go! Want to make the image pop even more.......float the image on top of black metal a size larger than the print!!!! BAM! See Post #7 HERE for an example in the lower right..... T

Composition-wise, I like either #1 or 2 best and #7 is nice also. Processing-wise, I like #1 and #4. And panos #3 and 4 are quite nice also!
Thanks

I like the idea of the Metal background. I wonder how this would look on white. Similar to a classic matte I presume.
cheers
Wembley

Thanks everyone for the comments.
#1 and #4 seem to be popular choices.
I think #4 will be printed as family likes/wanted b+w and Iove the pop of the white for the trees that makes it stands apart a little from a normal b+w.
#1 I love the blues and it will probably be printed also but really wished there was some cloud activity!
I'm partial to the sunrise and how the buildings really glow. The light only lasted a minute or 2 and side by side with the other morning shots without good light it really makes you understand and appreciate how important lighting is.

Cheers
Wembley

I love 1 and 4 as well. I went once for sunrise but never thought about going for night but will be on the itinerary for when I return.

I love them all Wembley. It is really difficult for me to choose a 'best' . All I can say is that only the composition of #6 is a bit less appealing than the others.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom