NYC may start requiring permits for tripod use greater than 10 minutes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Here's a very interesting article in the NYT. They are looking to require permits (which would be free, and available online) for photographers using a tripod for more than 10 minutes (including set up time) or a group of 2+ people taking pictures. It could take up to 30 days to receive your permit.

In reading through the article, it states that a public hearing was held and no one showed up. That is frustrating, to say the least. Perhaps its time for those who live in NYC (or who work there) to send a few letters in voicing their opinion.

Article.

2. Permit needed to photograph kids in NYC.

My wife just mentioned she heard this and I couldn't believe it. Now that I read the article I still can't believe they would do this. (Well actually these days I CAN believe it.)

Here is another link to the article :http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/nyregion/29camera.html?ei=5090&en=71135caff6fefe6a&ex=1340769600&pagewanted=print

The best line was that under the rules, two or more people would not actually have to be filming(or photographing), but could simply be holding an ordinary camera and talking to each other.

3. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Well so much for freedom to assemble.

4. henryp

henryp

Dec 29, 2005
    New York, NY
    That article is from June 29th. There's updated info from Aug 3rd here.

5. Thanks, Henry. I hadn't seen that article yet. At least on some things the city is listening to the public(or lawyers).

6. husawis

husawis Guest

A few weeks ago I was in Washington DC for a American Indian Council meeting. In the afternoon a few of us decided to take a side trip to see what was happening at the NMAI. The place was blocked by large groups being photographed by photographers using tripods. People including myself had to go into the street to get around them - and before you ask, let me tell you we had waited for them to finish. A DC Police officer was politely telling the photographer he had to move, he replied he had to hold them there until others in the group handed him their cameras for their own personal shots. As we finally rounded the group, two more officers arrived and went directly toward the crowd asking them to disperse.

I dislike governement regulations that seem to inhibit our freedoms. BUT, we are making the governments case for them by doing what this fellow did and was doing. It is unfortunate that laws have been made the surrogate for manners.

I would find it hard to argue that what I observed could not be interpreted as a public saftey issue. Further, as I was walking into the museum, a fellow on a wheelchair was saying to another person "You know, there ought to be a law..." Well, soon there will be and we have ourselves to blame.

7. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    While I don't like breaking laws, people, myself included break little laws like j-walking all the time. It's up to the legal system to enforce them and that's where I see this issue coming to a point. If the police use this law as a way to keep groups from blocking sidewalks and situations like husawis mentioned it wouldn't bother me. I expect the NYPD have better things to do than bother photographers unless there is a situation, and in that case, this law may give them the authority they need. Just another point of view. It will certainly be interesting to see what comes of this.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Henry :

Thanks for the info, and nice to see you here again. Pull up a chair and have a cup of cyber-coffee...

John P.

9. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmmm... I suppose after 10 min there really is a risk of the tripod to blow up huh.

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    What next ? A permit just to stand someplace for more than 10 minutes ? :confused:

11. No, its the legal ability to move what has become a public inconvenience.

12. krs2fer

krs2fer Guest

That was my first though when I read this post. :Shocked: