1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NYC Snaps and Panoramas (Broadband)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Jul 15, 2008.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Its been awhile since my last picture post. Hope everyone is having a fun and rewarding summer. Still using my D200 and looking forward to the D700 by Xmas :) 

Please Shoot Me - nikkor 35-70
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    48mm    f/8.0    1/100s    ISO 100

A Summer Street Fair - nikkor 35-70
    original.

A Tree Grows in Manhattan
    - nikkor 35-70
    original.

A Summer Sunset on Manhattan - nikkor 70-200, 19 image panorama (click for larger image)
    original.

A Sunday Afternoon at Grand Central - nikkor 35-70, 4 row 24 image panorama (click for larger image)
    original.

Waiting on Line for an iPhone - nikkor 35-70, 10 image panorama. (The line streched around the block) (click for larger image)
    View attachment 221324

Waiting on LIne for an iPhone 2 - nikkor 35-70, 2 row 28 image (click for larger image)
    View attachment 221325

Japanese Obon Dance Festival Bryant Park - nikkor 35-70, 8 image panorama (click for larger image)
    original.

Japanese Obon Dance Festival Bryant Park 2 - nikkor 35-70, 4 image panorama (click for larger image)
    original.

Takashi Murakami's Oval Buddha (click for larger image)
    original.

Bergdorf Goodman 5th Avenue - nikkor 35-70, 2 row 10 image panorama (click for larger image)
    original.

42nd and Madison Avenue (click for larger image)
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    great series once again RFC
    glad to see you out there

going thru some of my images from a long summer walk on Sunday past
    will be posting again soon......

3. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    WOW! These are spectacular! The Manhattan sunset is incredible! From where did you shoot? Do you sell these and how?

That first one is hilarious! Probably a funny story behind it!

42nd and Madison - handheld or tripod? I love this one!

Mike

4. Outstanding RFC!

Regards,

5. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Beautiful captures of my favorite city! Thanks for sharing.

6. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Just unbelievable shots RFC!

7. I second the "WOW". You are still the man RFC :wink:

8. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Wow is to tame an exclamation for these superb shots. Now, this is what Photography is all about!!!!!!

9. Wow.*

*sorry. can't think of anything original to say tonight, so I'm copying from the others.

10. Hi RFC,

Great photos and very inspirational. Will have to give some thought on how to do similar.

Did you photomerge in CS3?

Many thanks for sharing,

Regards

Chris

11. Amazing shots, as usual, Robert !

...i just still wonder HOW on earth you manage to shoot those panoramas with so many -moving- people in it :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:  ?!?!?!

:smile:
    J-P.

12. I was wondering the same thing....for a while I was beginning to question my understanding of how panoramas are shot. I'm pretty sure it didn't involve something like "Hey everyone, there's a hundred bucks* each for ya if you stand still for a couple of minutes" :D 

Absolutely amazing!

*We are after all talking about new york city....

13. Ah, Robert. You've taken me back to NYC again.

You've got me this time though. I have no idea where the "Oval Buddah" is. :redface:

Ronnie

14. tblazi

tblazi

Jul 9, 2008
    Croatia
    Great images ! Great panoramas ! :smile:
    As JPS, wondering about merging photos into panorama with so many moving people ? :confused: 

How is nikon 35-70 f2.8 in companion with d200 ? Fully satisfied ? I'm planning to buy that lens so your advice would be appreciated ...

15. Nice series. I've been wanting a 35-70 2.8. You're not helping my NAS sickness any at all. Thanks for posting.

16. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Those are some terrific shots. Keep them coming.

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Mood,
    Thanks for the kind comments. Your summer images from your trek were fantastic.

Hi Mike,

The summer sunset was taken from my condo balcony.

I do commercial licensing of my images.

1st shot...taken at a summer street fair in NYC. The lady was eating a banana while yelling at her 'husband'. I just stumbled upon it and grab a few snaps

The Chrysler building shot was handheld

Thanks for the kind comments :) 

Thank you Leung :) 

Thank you BarryD3

Thanks Zee71 :) 

Thank you Kgilby

Hi Dez,

Yes I'm still the man who hides all of his reject images :) 

Thank you Sanford
    Finding interesting compositions in NYC is fairly easy :) 

Thank you Mr. Graceful :) 

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you for the kind compliments. My default stitching software is PTgui. CS3 has a nice stitching engine but I still prefer PTgui for it level of user control.

Hi JPS,

All the credit goes to the software PTgui. Its stitching engine handles most of the problems with moving objects. The program also can output a stitch in PSD format with layers and masks for additional corrections in CS3.
    Here is a link to a simple tutorial I made a while ago ...http://rfcgraphics.com/Ptgui/tutorialptgui.html

Hope your summer is fun and rewarding :) 

Hi RickyG,

The real magic is the software PTgui. You can dl a demo at www.ptgui.com
    Bottom line... I shoot fast and let the software worry about the moving objects. Also when necessary, layers and masking corrections are done in CS3. http://rfcgraphics.com/Ptgui/tutorialptgui.html

Hi Ronnie...

Finally Gotcha !!!! LOL

The Oval Buddah was at the IBM building at 590 Madison Avenue. It was on display there because it was too large to fit at his exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/2008/05/too_big_for_bro.php

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful summer :) 

Hi Tblazi

Moving objects and Panoramas....PTgui rules !
    I posted a link to a simple tutorial above if you are interested.

The nikkor 35-70 is my default walk around lens. Sharp and light, it fits my needs. I really enjoy street photography and when mounted on a D200 it is very discrete :) 

Thanks for the kinds comments :) 

Thanks Olddogg,

The 35-70 is one of nikon's best bargains at this point in time :) 

Thank you Gu32 :) 

19. LOL, that first one had me smilling. Great title! Love these...

I'm hoping for a D3x announcement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.