NYC Subway Museum Train

Hiya! I was lucky to attend a NYC Transit Museum subway excursion, riding some 30's vintage IND subway cars collectively known as R9's or Arnines. I hope you enjoy these photos I took.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course it rained!

Car interior

The trip was all underground until we arrived above ground at the 207th St yards in upper Manhattan...

...where we rode past cars being scrapped, or more particularly "reefed", loaded onto a barge and being dumped off the coast of Delaware or wherever it is now.

We were treated to a tour of the shops at 207th Street

And then back underground for the return trip.

I guess not everyone shares my enthusiasm for a museum train:tongue:

Thanks for looking; comments are appreciated.

Very nice. I'd love to visit there.
Thanks, Alex; the shop and yard tours are always great.

That looks like an awesome time. I didn't even know they offer such tours. Amazing photos!
They're offered by the NY Transit Museum. I'm a member so it was $25, certainly fair for a trip I love. Thanks for the compliment on my photos.

Cool, thanks for sharing.
Thanks and you're welcome, Tom

Nice IQ & Perspectives!
Thanks very much, Steve :smile:

Great photos. I really wanted to do their tour of the Old City Hall subway station a few months ago, but unfortunately missed it. The MTA museum has some great tour.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I'm not a train buff, but was thinking of joining the MTA museum, especially for the City Hall Station tour.

man those r-9's, bring back some memories

how often to they have those excursions ????

Great photos. I really wanted to do their tour of the Old City Hall subway station a few months ago, but unfortunately missed it. The MTA museum has some great tour.
Thanks, Jay. I agree, they do have some excellent tours and exhibits.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I'm not a train buff, but was thinking of joining the MTA museum, especially for the City Hall Station tour.
Thanks, Klaus-Peter. We should be due for another City Hall Station tour.

man those r-9's, bring back some memories

how often to they have those excursions ????
Hehe, they ran fast back in the old days. They run at least one R-9 summer excursion and the last couple of years they've run them in revenue service on the V line on the weekends between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

Great series. I like the first image for the mood. The tunnel entrance is my second favorite. As for shops, shops are always great whether is is stock being shopped for the first time or stock that is a century old.

Great series. I like the first image for the mood. The tunnel entrance is my second favorite. As for shops, shops are always great whether is is stock being shopped for the first time or stock that is a century old.
Thanks, David. I didn't think so at the time but I'm glad it rained that day.

Very cool. At first I thought this was about the number 6 running through the Museum Mile, but that line is not very cosmetically pleasing....LOL!
LOL, no that would not be chic!

Very nice set. I like #3 the best, followed closely by #1. Cool images and looks like you had a really nice opportunity there.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom