1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NYC Subway Museum Train

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Fred G, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Hiya! I was lucky to attend a NYC Transit Museum subway excursion, riding some 30's vintage IND subway cars collectively known as R9's or Arnines. I hope you enjoy these photos I took.

[​IMG]
    Of course it rained!

[​IMG]
    Car interior

[​IMG]
    The trip was all underground until we arrived above ground at the 207th St yards in upper Manhattan...

[​IMG]
    ...where we rode past cars being scrapped, or more particularly "reefed", loaded onto a barge and being dumped off the coast of Delaware or wherever it is now.

[​IMG]
    We were treated to a tour of the shops at 207th Street

[​IMG]
    And then back underground for the return trip.

[​IMG]
    I guess not everyone shares my enthusiasm for a museum train:tongue:

Thanks for looking; comments are appreciated.

2. Very nice. I'd love to visit there.

3. That looks like an awesome time. I didn't even know they offer such tours. Amazing photos!

4. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    Cool, thanks for sharing.

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice IQ & Perspectives!

6. Thanks, Alex; the shop and yard tours are always great.

They're offered by the NY Transit Museum. I'm a member so it was $25, certainly fair for a trip I love. Thanks for the compliment on my photos.

Thanks and you're welcome, Tom

Thanks very much, Steve :smile:

7. Great photos. I really wanted to do their tour of the Old City Hall subway station a few months ago, but unfortunately missed it. The MTA museum has some great tour.

8. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Very nice, thanks for sharing! I'm not a train buff, but was thinking of joining the MTA museum, especially for the City Hall Station tour.

9. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    man those r-9's, bring back some memories

how often to they have those excursions ????

10. Thanks, Jay. I agree, they do have some excellent tours and exhibits.

Thanks, Klaus-Peter. We should be due for another City Hall Station tour.

Hehe, they ran fast back in the old days. They run at least one R-9 summer excursion and the last couple of years they've run them in revenue service on the V line on the weekends between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

11. Great series. I like the first image for the mood. The tunnel entrance is my second favorite. As for shops, shops are always great whether is is stock being shopped for the first time or stock that is a century old.

12. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    Very cool. At first I thought this was about the number 6 running through the Museum Mile, but that line is not very cosmetically pleasing....LOL!

13. Thanks, David. I didn't think so at the time but I'm glad it rained that day.

LOL, no that would not be chic!

14. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Jan 30, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Very nice set. I like #3 the best, followed closely by #1. Cool images and looks like you had a really nice opportunity there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.