1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NYC: Union Soldiers @ Governors Island

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Dez Santana, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I made a trip to Governors Island this past weekend for the first time. I am born & raised in NYC and have never visited this treasure of a park.

Governors Island is about 800 yards from Lower Manhattan and about 172 acres large. It used to be a strategic military installation with a Fort, prison and soldier housing. It was sold by the federal government to the City of New York for $1. It is now a public park.

D300, 18-200 VR lens w/a Nikon circular polarizer & Nikon SB-900 for fill flash in some.

Here are some shots:

Asphalt Path (HDR, 5 bracketed photos)
    [​IMG]

Art Sculpture (with SB-900 for fill flash)
    [​IMG]

Fort Jay
    [​IMG]

Portrait (with SB-900 for fill flash)
    [​IMG]

Union Soldiers (with SB-900 for fill flash)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flags
    [​IMG]

Castle Williams
    [​IMG]

More of the Governors Island here:
    http://photos.dezmix.com/p706125408

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  2. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice series. It's certainly an interesting place.

3. Thanks Art :smile:

4. nice series, dez
    you might be the only one who'll shoot an 18-200 and a $500.00 SB-900 flash... :smile:

5. LOL. I'm an equal opportunity shooter :tongue: I think they worked rather well together.

The SB-900 cost me $450 (actually $190 after I sold my SB-800).

Thanks!

6. Fine series Dez.
    The B&Ws with the CP are very cool.
    Fred

7. Thanks Fred :smile:

8. Perhaps the COLOR versions look better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Very nice series! You definitely picked a very nice day to go as well. I need to make it out there as well one of these days. I think having some photo's in Sepia would give it a nice touch as well.

10. Thanks Mark.

The B&W photos were Sepia, except for the flags.

11. Very nice set. Never heard of the park. I might have to finally go back to visit NYC (after 26 years!) and see your town all over again!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  12. Thanks Alex.

Governors Island has been in NYC since the very beginning. Founded by the Dutch. In the 1700s-1800s it was used as a strategic military installation and the military abandoned the island in 1996.

13. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Hmm..............I guess I was looking more for a reddish tint, and a antiquated look.

14. I like my Sepia to look more in the brownish side :wink:

15. Well done Dezz .

Thanks for sharing

16. Thank you Arthur :smile:

17. Very pretty series and nice use of the 'subtle' qualities of the SB-900 blow torch!:biggrin: I sold my 18-200, but I never complained about the picture quality, these say a lot about the value of a very versatile lens.

18. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Something's odd about that 'veteran' picture.
    Those don't look like Marine Corps badges of rank and his ribbons are not in the correct order.

As a retired colonel myself, it seems very out of character for a retired field grade officer to parade around looking disheveled and wearing fragments of a uniform like this.

19. Nice series Dez. This looks like a great place for a staged shoot.

Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.