NYC: Urban Moses

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Nacho, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

A shot taken in the middle of the street as a quick pan. In this case, I was trying to capture the gestalt of the moment, in a busy downtown street, in the middle of the road, his crossing and his persona completely took that space and moment. As he crossed in front of me I wanted to try a shot that would include the busy nature of the moment yet the parting of that urban chaos that he commanded. Since I was behind him I could not have panned the traditional way and gotten a good effect, so I just kept the camera trained on him, but continued walking. The point was to show him going forward, but the movement in the street going crossways.

Feedback always greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

EXIF: Nikon D300, ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/60, 18mm, Daylight WB, Zoom Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5/4.5G

gassho,

N :smile:

2. I think it great. I definitely get the bust feel from it right away. great job and awesome shot

Thanks for sharing

3. You captured it well .... nice work.

Regards,

4. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nacho - you didn't need add any "instruction as what to look for" since your image tells the story!

Nicely done!

~respect~

5. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks!

Hiya Folks, thanks much for the kind words. It was one of those nice moments where you know you "got it." I guess what Joe McNally has called in his book "the moment it clicks?" I took it and had the feeling that "Ok, that one was spot on." Thanks again! : )

Best,

N :smile:

6. Not bad. I think I would have liked to see his face. From your description I think you may have tried to include too much or that your concept was too broad. A simple, frame filling, portrait of him and his full cart would have probably made a bigger impact on me.

7. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Works for me. This is a great shot!

8. It works for me too. I think a tighter shot might loose the sense of place that I find important to the shot.
    Nice. You nailed it!

9. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    This city is awesome.