1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NYC Virgin

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by dzibead, Aug 17, 2008.

1. I was in NYC and CT last week for the 1st time and LOVED it. The purpose of the trip was to catch the last 4 performances of The Police before they officially broke up (BIG fan as some of you may know).

My 1st few days were spent at Jones Beach on Long Island or as I've learned to pronounce like the locals Lon G-island. I brought both my D50 with 85mm1.4D and 18-135mm kit lens as well as my G9 P&S. I was restricted to my P&S for most of my photos the 1st night and although I got some clear shots in daylight, I was less impressed with it's low light performance. That whole 'Canon performs better in low light' is hog wash. I only got a few keepers and they were during Elvis' set while there was still daylight.

2769534896_713d102d4c_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 240264

2nd night @ JB I was able to use the 85mm 1.4D. Although I was quite a distance from the stage, I was impressed with the 85mm performance. When cropped the sharpness is not as good as I'd like with the shallow depth of field but still, not too bad for a novice with this lens.

View attachment 240265

I had more fun in the parking lot with the orange traffic cones...

View attachment 240266

2. My NYC adventures provided better photo ops. People-watching alone was worth the trip.

In Bryant Park

85mm 1.4D

2758891730_00b18ea713_b.png

2757929501_9040f85898_b.png

on the trip into the city

View attachment 240269

on the streets (loved his expressions as he played his Strat)

View attachment 240270

and the obligatory celebrity spotting. This one outside the Dakota of Yoko. I think I got her best side ;0)

View attachment 240271

3. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Then there were the cityscape and architectural photo ops

The Jackie Onassis Reservoir in Central Park

18-135mm kit lens
    2767042835_074f3b6d72_b.png

I promptly dropped the lens while changing lenses in a rush. It's in surgery as we speak. Aperture ring snapped. Grrrrrrrrrr but not before capturing some natives soaking up the sun in the park

View attachment 240273

and the obligatory visit to Stawberry Fields

View attachment 240274

The jewel in the Manhattan skyline...
    View attachment 240275

Some nice addresses if you've got the $$$$

85mm 1.4D
    View attachment 240276

and interesting architectural detail

View attachment 240277

2767821182_857e2bf35a_b.png

View attachment 240279

those gates Yoko was walking through

View attachment 240280

5. Already did Greg. I went looking for street musicians just for your thread. My others of an older gentleman banging away on a drum were not sharp unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. ah.....
    sorry that i didn't realize you already added it
    and... i'd already commented on it.. sorry about that, again

thank you so much for doing that

7. I attended the taping of Elvis Costello interviewing the Police (their last interview before disbanding - no pun intended) for his new talk show "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with..." which will begin airing in the fall. The shows were being taped at the historic Apollo Theater. It was quite a thrill. Unfortunately very strict security prevented any photography inside so I had to make do with the marquee outside. BTW, if you're a music buff be sure to watch his show. He's a natural for this gig - very articulate, insightful and intelligent. His wife Diana Krall will be one of his guests.

G9 P&S
    2770026369_93e28fecdf_b.png

And finally, The Police's final concert together this one at MSG for PBS Channel 13 in NYC. It was a spectacular swan song including the NYPD band onstage for Message in a Bottle and Sting having his beard shaved off between encores by 2 very pretty blonde estheticians ( you boys would have REALLY enjoyed that). It was a bittersweet night for those of us who are great fans of this talented band. Again, I used my 85mm despite not having close seats.

View attachment 240282

2764225834_c90efb2195_b.png

You can see Rosanna Arquette in front of the stage where she danced all night.
    View attachment 240284

View attachment 240285

Stewart Copeland's percussion rack, giant gong and kettle drums were awesome. His use of it on Wrapped Around Your Finger and King of Pain was fantastic - a highlight of every concert. He is a very talented man.
    View attachment 240286

and for the ladies in the audience....
    View attachment 240287

8. No problem Greg :biggrin:

9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    glad you enjoyed our fair city Patti
    some very nice shots in your series

Sting with the beard is a little scary :eek: 

10. LOL! Thanks Frank. I really enjoyed your city. I look forward to going back to explore much more next time. :Love:

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wonderful series of images of my hometown. Looks like you had a fun and rewarding trip.

BTW I think that image with the hot air ballon is the "Lake" and not JKOR as the later doesnt have allow rowboats

12. There's TWO bodies of water in the park??:confused:  Show's how little I know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.