Nyc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nicole718, Jul 2, 2008.

1. nicole718

nicole718

Mar 31, 2008
    CT
    I am going to NYC Saturday to walk around and take pictures. Can anyone give me any tips on where to go to take good pictures? Thanks.

2. Central Park
    SoHo

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    East and West Village. Rockerfeller Center.

4. "........where to go to take good pictures? "

Nicole - come on now. Don't you think this is a pretty broad question?

Ok - as a life long New Yorker, allow me to answer you the question that you posed. I suggest that you shoot Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens. Does that help you at all?

I realize that this may be read as a smart *ss comment, but the point I am making is that asking a question like "what to shoot in NYC" is sort of pointless. I am certainly not disparaging you; just trying to get you (and others who post similar non-specific questions) to understand that it would take me about 2 days to type a list of "where to go to take good pictures" in NYC.

How about giving us the length of time you have available, what type of photography subjects are you interested in (people, architecture, scenics, animals, flowers, street scenes), whether you have access to transportation within the City, what kind of gear you have at your disposal, etc. Then folks can begin to narrow the field and give you advice that actually might help you.

Hope I am not coming across as too obnoxious (I am, afterall, a New Yorker!), but I would truly like to help you since I have a passion for showing off our great city to strangers.

5. If you are a 'street' photographer, East or West Village, Lower East Side. Little India (between First and Second Avenue at 5th st (I think)., Chinatown.
    Anywhere on Houston St (pronounced How-stan in NYC)

6. nicole718

nicole718

Mar 31, 2008
    CT
    Yeah. It was a pretty broad question! We are going to be there all day Saturday. We are taking the train into Grand Central and are planning walking, maybe a couple cab rides. I have a Nikon d40, 18-55 and 55-200 lens and sb600 flash. Besides the obvious popular places everyone knows about, I was wondering if there was anything an out of towner wouldn't know about. People, scenics, animals, flowers, street scenes.

And no Rick, you didn't sound onboxious!

7. Hummm

Easy,

Time Square :biggrin:

Then pretty much anywhere else, financial district is interesting as well. You should really ask which area to avoid, I liked my walk from TimeSquare to the Empire State building as well as a little further south you have the Flatiron building which is within an interesting area Photography wise. But pretty much anywhere is interesting - it is NYC after all.

People usually don't shoot or talk too much about Canal Street which is a very interesting area on a Saturday!

8. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    im from nyc, and have some touristy and some not so touristy photos
    feel free to take a look if it will give you any ideas
    http://anthonyc.zenfolio.com/

9. Union Square farmer's market, Washington Square for sights.

Cabs are expensive. Take subway or bus.

10. Panda51

Panda51

Jun 26, 2008
    Paris
    here's a link to My New York City post:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176037

I like South Street Sea Port at the end of the day, you get nice colors over the Brooklyn bridge, Brooklyn Heights for a nice Downtown view, the free ferry to staten island, lower east side, soho and of course central park

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Nicole718,

Simple recommendations for a day trip...

Grand Central Terminal >>>>Rockefeller Center>>>>>>Walk 5th ave going towards Central Park>>>>>Central Park>>>>>Museum Mile>>>>>Times Square/Broadway>>>>>Downtown Battery Park South Street Seaport>>>>>Grand Central.

You will have countless opportunities for some great images. Too much to see in one day. Hope you have a great visit, looking forward to seeing the pics :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.