NZ Birds; Final Episode: Best of the Rest

Real Name
Dan
Just some miscellaneous birds from the same trip. Also all shot with D7200/AF-S 80-400mm

1) TUI(aka Parson Bird). The only time these guys would land on a flax bloom for me their eyes were in shadow.
p714977518-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Bell Bird; I chased these guys all over New Zealand with no luck. Finally just walking down a trail one landed right in front of me.
p1110083375-5.jpg

3) Fantail living up to its name
p766410772-5.jpg

4) New Zealand Pigeon. These guys are the size of a chicken.
p1110083376-5.jpg

5) Pukeko. A bit farther west it's just a swamp hen.
p676088000-5.jpg

6) Welcome swallows(I think)
p810060572-5.jpg

7) North Island Robin; Hardest thing about shooting this guy was stopping him landing on the camera lens.
p809397782-5.jpg

8) Tomtit; tiny little guy.
p644817635-5.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Very nice set of images. Amazing variety. I really like the fantail! You and @Richard_M have me wanting to go to Australia/New Zealand. Oh...but what to do about the dog???? Guess Airlines will no longer accept him......DRATS!

Superb set, Dan!
I visited the south of the South Island in March/April 2019 and loved it and managed to get a few decent NZ bird shots. Would love to go back once the Covid issue has passed.

Real Name
Dan
Very nice set of images. Amazing variety. I really like the fantail! You and @Richard_M have me wanting to go to Australia/New Zealand. Oh...but what to do about the dog???? Guess Airlines will no longer accept him......DRATS!
Thanks, Karen. As much as you guys travel I can't believe you haven't made it down there. I highly recommend it. Birds are even more prolific in Oz plus more tropical varieties and mammals.

Airlines taking a dog down there is the least of the issue. It's near impossible to get a dog into NZ. We looked into it because we were thinking of spending three months there and three months in Oz. It's a little less strict in Australia but not much. Requires months of pre-planning. Myriad health certificates etc. before going over and then a 30 day quarantine on arrival. The long quarantine was the non-starter for us.
👍
Super set Dan.
Well done.
Thanks, Bob.
Lovely set. Great variety.
Thanks, Phil.
Well done Dan, and what a variety of amazing looking birds.
Thanks, Louie. It's always fun shooting new/different species.
Superb set, Dan!
I visited the south of the South Island in March/April 2019 and loved it and managed to get a few decent NZ bird shots. Would love to go back once the Covid issue has passed.
Thanks, Lance. The birds aren't as flashy as the ones in Oz but just as interesting shooting.
Impressive set, Dan.
I like #3 most.
Thanks for commenting, Klaus. You have to be quick to shoot those fantails.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've been to Australia twice. Once as a young adult without a camera and the second time with scuba gear instead of camera gear. Never even thought about birds when I visited there! LOL! Held a koala, though........

Real Name
Charlie
The pigeon; such a small head to have to feed such a huge body.

Great shots. :~)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom