1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

O/T Motorised Bikes...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taco, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Anybody here done a conversion kit on their bicycle?? I've researched bike motor kits and can purchase the kit pictured for 195.00 or a better quality 4 stroke kit for 700.00. I can't find much of anything between these prices. 150 MPG is mighty appealing but don't want to spend too much in case they get outlawed. The kit pictured is very common and seems to work okay but I'm looking for a little better quality unit. Any suggestions, leads or links appreciated............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

386452441_W35ys-L.

2. Cool idea...Called MotoTek:biggrin:

3. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Whoa that looks cool haha never though anybody did that.

I'd get a 4 stroke since its MUCH more quiter, than a 2 stroke (trust me i had a 2 stroke dirtbike and a 4 stroke dritbike).

4. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Already outlawed in many of the good old United States!!! NJ for sure has specific laws against such things although I think law enforcement mostly targets those annoying little motorized scooters that kids ride around on, and at that probably just because they are kids.

HorizontallyOpposed, that's a pretty big can might be quieter than you think. Some of the 2 stroke commercial lawn equipment is VERY quiet, although still not as quiet as 4 stroke stuff.

5. Illegal in WI as well.

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    If you want to ride around motorized all the time, consider getting a scooter. Not only is the drive train designed for full-time motorized transport, but the brakes as well...

If you only need the motor to help you uphill, there are bikes for sale with the whole thing neatly integrated. Either gasoline or electric from multiple manufacturers.

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

not true .a 2 stroke has that na na na na na sound where the 4 strock has more of a pop pop pop pop sound.both are quiet with proper mufflers.now if you put a radical expansion chamber on the 2 stroke it will screem at hi rpm but an un capped header(muffler)on a 4 stroke is deafening!
    i also grew up racing dirt bikes!
    basicly a strait pipe off any internal compustion engine will be very noisey.but a high compression 4 stroke is by far more thunderuously loude,

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I think it has more to do with RPM than with 2 or 4 stroke.

We use mainly 2 stroke engines on our boats. But a definite pop pop pop sound. Of course they run 150 RPM max.

Formula One racing cars have more that na na na sound (well, more naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh...) but they're using 4 stroke - but at 18000 RPM or more.

Of course in general 2 stroke will run at pretty high RPM and 4 stroke will run much slower.

9. Another thing is, 2 stroke sound doesnt travel as far as 4 stroke sound will. Pretty comical when the pack of 10-12 "ticked off bees" (125cc GP bikes) comes by your cornerstation and the sound disappears 2 corners later. Try that with a 600cc 4 stroke. Usually you can hear them all the way around the track.

10. Thanks for all the replies guys! Update: After talking to my wife she isn't too keen on the whole idea so it will probably be the Elcheepo special. I have concerns for the quality after buying a 229.00 off shore mini dirt bike for my son. The owners manual was lost in translation and they said if the bike leaks gas on the floor simply sand the rough flashing edges off the carb float. Why can't they sand the float at the factory??? The welding on the muffler was so poor the exhaust was restricted and I had to cut it open and reweld it. Still at 200 bucks for a motor kit you can't go too wrong so I'll try to make this happen before the snow flies........

Cheers

11. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Yeah 2 Strokes have crazy high end power, but lack low end trq (sort of like Honda VTEC engines)

12. Here's mine. It's a WalMart bike with a Golden Eagle conversion. The motor kit is perfect in every way except price; $600 ......... ouch.

This is a belt drive set up which takes about 45 minutes to install. Very nice stuff.

It goes fast enough to kill you, so be sure you mount it to a good bike. I got this model 'cause it had disk brakes and suspension both front and rear. This engine kit mounted on a "beach cruiser" would be a little scary at top speed.

2913976165_46022ddf48_o.

13. Hey Bob

Thanks for that link......The Golden Eagle is 3 times the cost but probably 10 times the quality...The video is pretty cool showing how you can get by traffic congestion and make better time on the bike. Another neat feature is this rear mount is not dependant on frame design...Like most things in life you get what you pay for so I'll give this system some serious thought.........

Cheers

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    a little two stroke can sound very controlled and muffled. As mentioned, expansion chamber though can make them scream. I am sure these would be fairly controlled.

I sort of vote for the factory kit, so the brakes and all are integrated too. Or a regular motor scooter if you don't plan to pedal this contraption.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.