Oben tripod?

I asked B and H Photo to recommend a tripod. They recommended this one

tripod

My criteria was:
Use it for a D300
Lightweight, but sturdy
Foldable to go into a suitcase for traveling

Does anyone have a tripod by this company, and if so would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Carole

That works... :smile:

I'm not familiar with that brand though...
IDontKnow-1.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Carole, the biggest problem with that tripod isn't the manufacturer, but the fact that it has a whopping FIVE sections. The bottom-most section and probably the one above that are going to be extremely narrow. Those are the weak links and they affect the whole tripod. If I were to use this tripod, I'd never extend the bottom two sections and treat it as a short three-section tripod.

Not a direct answer to your question, but something that I think you should consider.

FWIW when I travel by air I usually go with a Gitzo 2540 which is a four-section tripod, but I never use the bottom-most section. Although it isn't that short when collapsed, I can fit it into any of my check-in luggage if I remove the head.

Thanks, Isamu.

My problem is that I need a tripod that doesn't weigh a lot as I have congestive heart failure and I'm not allowed to carry heavy things. I'm going on this photography workshop in October (the one that I won the scholarship for), and I know we are going to be trekking around Whidbey Island. So I need something lightweight that I'll be able to carry. I bought a Domke bag that is on wheels so I might just use the tripod I have and attach it to that and roll it around. I thought if I could find a tripod that was light enough for me to carry, then I could put the camera, lenses, etc. into a smaller rolling backpack. I have to think ahead so that my CHF doesn't stop me from doing what everyone else will be doing :)

Carole

As Isamu pointed out be careful of getting too many leg sections because they will start
to get very thin near the bottom and then the tripod will be springy and not very stable...

It looks like you live in an area where there should be some camera stores nearby where
you could go and see/handle different models in person... That way you can be sure they
are sturdy and the right size, hight and weight to suit your needs... You can always order
the tripod later online if it's cheaper that way but at least you'll know which brand/model
you really want... :wink:

I have an Oben aluminum tripod & ball head from B&H. It has a three section leg set. I've had it for a couple years and it gets limited use but has held up quite well for an inexpensive tripod. I shoot with a D700 and have used even my heaviest lens on that tripod.
I agree that the five section leg set may be a little unstable.

As Isamu pointed out be careful of getting too many leg sections because they will start
to get very thin near the bottom and then the tripod will be springy and not very stable...

It looks like you live in an area where there should be some camera stores nearby where you could go and see/handle different models in person... That way you can be sure they are sturdy and the right size, hight and weight to suit your needs... You can always order the tripod later online if it's cheaper that way but at least you'll know which brand/model
you really want... :wink:

Actually, we only have one very tiny camera store near me. They carry very little and they are mega overpriced. I think they make their money on doing custom prints, more than anything. They don't even have a selection of filters, let alone tripods, lenses, etc. The only camera stores here are in Seattle which is 100 miles (and traffic from hell) away from here.

Carole

I have an Oben aluminum tripod & ball head from B&H. It has a three section leg set. I've had it for a couple years and it gets limited use but has held up quite well for an inexpensive tripod. I shoot with a D700 and have used even my heaviest lens on that tripod.
I agree that the five section leg set may be a little unstable.

Thanks, Jeff. I guess I'll keep looking :)

Carole

Carole,

Feisol makes some great lightweight tripods that fold small for travel. The 3441S may fit your needs. Note that you'd want to get a separate ballhead. There is also a newer Feisol travel tripod that folds even smaller and is slightly lighter, but not sure about availability. You can get a tripod and ballhead combo that weighs less than 3 pounds no problem. I can attest to the performance of the Feisol 3441T and 2 great Photoclam ballheads, which I've used while traveling extensively.

Edit: Look for used tripods too, they are significantly less and that will open up your options.

Actually, we only have one very tiny camera store near me. They carry very little and they are mega overpriced. I think they make their money on doing custom prints, more than anything. They don't even have a selection of filters, let alone tripods, lenses, etc. The only camera stores here are in Seattle which is 100 miles (and traffic from hell) away from here.

Carole

I'm in Aberdeen so Bellingham sounds like a big magical city in a far away land
full of riches and wonders
to me.... :tongue:

In this town all I've I've got is Staples and Walmart... I guess we're in the same
boat more or less... :frown:

The closest "real" store to Bellingham with a good selection is Kenmore Camera. Still a long drive, about 40 miles south of Mt. Vernon, but beats the drive to Seattle and Glazers.

Carole, any idea why B&H suggested the 5 section? I see 3 and 4 section Oben's on the site as well, about the same weight. 3 section will be much more stable.

Also, I doubt the head is worth much, I'd be worried about my camera on that ball head. Do you have any tripod/head combination now at all?

If you want to meet somewhere between Bellingham and Marysville I can show you a couple of alternatives.

The Feisol recommendation is a great one.

Carole,

Feisol makes some great lightweight tripods that fold small for travel. The 3441S may fit your needs. Note that you'd want to get a separate ballhead. There is also a newer Feisol travel tripod that folds even smaller and is slightly lighter, but not sure about availability. You can get a tripod and ballhead combo that weighs less than 3 pounds no problem. I can attest to the performance of the Feisol 3441T and 2 great Photoclam ballheads, which I've used while traveling extensively.

Edit: Look for used tripods too, they are significantly less and that will open up your options.

Thanks, Matt. I just may start looking at used ones as I am on a very limited budget. Social security doesn't pay all that well. :smile: I have until mid September to save for it, as my photography workshop is not until the first week of October. But I want to get a lens for the workshop, and I need a few other things, so I have to watch the budget for this. If I could get a used one in really good condition, that would be fine.

I do have a couple of tripods that, if I had to, I could use them, but I'd like to get a more lightweight one.

Carole

Do you drive, Carol...?

From this search I found a list with several stores in Mt. Vernon, says about 25 miles
from Bellingham...

Does that help...?

Thanks, William. Yes, I do drive. The problem with the camera stores up this way is that they basically cater to VERY amateur photographers. They only carry tripods that are under $100 (like $39.95) - the ones you can get at Walmart :smile: To get good quality stuff, we have to trek down to Seattle or buy online, which I tend to due as there is often no tax and free shipping. So no extra gasoline is needed :smile:

Carole

The closest "real" store to Bellingham with a good selection is Kenmore Camera. Still a long drive, about 40 miles south of Mt. Vernon, but beats the drive to Seattle and Glazers.

Carole, any idea why B&H suggested the 5 section? I see 3 and 4 section Oben's on the site as well, about the same weight. 3 section will be much more stable.

Also, I doubt the head is worth much, I'd be worried about my camera on that ball head. Do you have any tripod/head combination now at all?

If you want to meet somewhere between Bellingham and Marysville I can show you a couple of alternatives.

The Feisol recommendation is a great one.

I have never been to Kenmore. I have been to Glazer's and while they have a lot of stuff, I find them pricey.

I do have two tripods: a Slik 512QF which is actually a tripod for a video camera. It was given to me. And I have a Dolica CX620B104 61-Inch Proline Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-CX620B104-61-Inch-Proline-Carbon/dp/B001MYL1BA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt I like it as it's lightweight. I just wish it would fold down smaller for traveling.

As I said in a previous post, I really have to watch the budget, so I may just take the Dolica, if I have to. This is for my 4 day workshop in October, so I have time to look around. I have to save for this first, so if I decide to come down that way, I'll let you know. Thank you for the offer. Does Kenmore have a lot of good photography stuff? How are their prices?

The one criteria this has to fulfill is that it has to be lightweight. That's why I got the Dolica. I have CHF so I'm not allowed to carry a lot of things. I did get a Domke camera bag that is on wheels, so I'll be able to take all my gear to the workshop and just wheel it around :smile: It also has a carry bag for a tripod and the carry bag straps onto the side.

I'll have to do some more looking around. I'll check out the other Oben's on B&H, and see about the ones that are 3 sections.

Thanks,
Carole

Latest threads

Top Bottom