Oberlin - Case Western Div III Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I was planning on shooting the Oberlin-Case Western game on Saturday but had to fill in for my Class President (I'm the VP) and attend a forum with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees instead. So when I got to the field we were well behind in the fourth quarter, I had to shoot from the stands, and I was rushed and really didn't have time to optimize my settings for the first few minutes of shooting. Nonetheless I got a few good pics. A few below:

Clean Handoff:
    [​IMG]

Even 20yrd runs have to end sometime:
    [​IMG]

Getting set up here to.......:
    [​IMG]

Pass, pass, pass to catch up (bite your tongue):
    [​IMG]

A touchdown catch (sorry for the blur, but you try to follow a 13yrd bullet pass from thrower to receiver and keep focus...:) ):
    [​IMG]

The point-after:
    [​IMG]

Taking a knee:
    [​IMG]

A rushed, pretty haphazard shoot by my standards, but it felt good to get back into some sports action.

Thanks for looking...and comments always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Glad you made the effort to hit that shutter button. Not to bad for being sat in the stands, like that fourth shot best. I suggest the board compensate you for your service as VP with a media pass so you can shoot the game from the field!

3. Nice shots Harry.

Wish I knew you were in town.
    Are you on the Board at Case or Oberlin? My daughter is considering Case for next fall.

4. Thanks, Brooks. I actually would not have had a problem getting a field pass, and was planning to stop by the Athletic Department to pick one up...but after learning that I would have to miss most of the game (and all of the girls soccer match next door) I just decided it was not worth it.

As to the shots from the stands, all I can say is that the 80-200 plus 2X Kenko Pro 300 is an amazing combination. Of course, I would have loved to have had my 300mm f/2.8 with me (since sold) but I never could figure out how to pack it for casual trips anyway. As if a suitcase, computer case, and fully loaded Domke bag weren't enough! :smile:

Thank you, Joe. Likewise....next trip I'll have to look up you and other Cleveland area folk. I'm an Oberlin fellow....but have high regard for Case Western. BTW, they have one heck of a football team this year...all returning starters, and for another year will be in that position.

If you and your daughter can get to see them, you'll see some good football.