Observations from Yellowstone Park May 2021

Our last trip was the third week of October, light snow was falling and I had the ridiculous idea it might not be crowded. The “camera” scene was a selfie stick convention, saw no cameras other than what looked like I guessed were those GoPro things, little black boxes on the ends of selfie sticks. Everyone had one. Big buses would disgorge hoards of foreign tourists who would immediately gather around someone with a small flag, extend their sticks in unison and begin recording every epic step they took toward a geologic point of interest. There were so many of them milling around Old Faithful that I drove in, turned around and drove out. Worst thing I saw was the mob gathered around a bison, they were taking turns at getting up next to the poor animals head and snapping a selfie. I hoped a ranger would come by and cite the buses that barely pulled off the road for the bison attraction. The park should contract with Disney to whip up some animatronic animals that people could use for photos. They could have the usual bison and bears, but also add hippos, crocodiles, elephants, land sharks and even toss in a few dinosaurs.

That's weird cause we went to Disney last week of October and it was great, no crowds, you could walk onto popular rides. Last October people were still scared of Covid and not traveling. Or is that normal October in Yellowstone?

Last week we spent two days in Yellowstone National Park. It seems that a high percentage of people on the hiking trails and geothermal features are carrying cameras. There are also many who have cell phones they are using for photos. As I walk about I like to look at what brand people have hanging around their necks. I saw a lot of Nikon and Canon cameras. I only saw a couple of Sony cameras. A lot of the cameras were entry level models such as a D5600. I saw several Z cameras. If what I saw in the park is indicative of the general population Nikon is still very popular. Although this time of year there are a lot of senior citizens out traveling since most kids are still in school. It's always fun to see what people are using.

Terri is it more crowded than typical May? We went in mid May 2009 and the park was fairly empty.

First, a belated happy birthday. Glad I am not the only one to reach that milestone this year.
When our son was teaching high school on Chuuk (Truk), he mostly saw divers showing up with the high end Nikons and Canons and very expensive housings. Then again most of the were diving with rebreathers (10k+). He was one of the few diving open circuit with a go pro. But he was also diving for free as he worked as a wreck guide when he could.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom