OCF Starter Kit

My birthday is comming up and the missus is looking for ideas. I have been toying for quite some time with trying some OCF although not sure how often I'd use it.

I was thinking about asking for a second flash (prob the 910) and this:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5675.htm

Was just wondering what others thought in terms of value / quality. Would this suffice for a starters kit? If not what would you suggest? Please keep in mind Im in Aus and would prefer to buy locally if possible.

Cheers.

I'm using SB-910 and SB-800 with similar equipment and having great fun with it.

Nikon CLS will allow you to trigger both flashes off-camera.

You might even find yourself wanting a third Nikon CLS flash as a hair or rimlight in portrait photography. On the other hand you can utilise the SU-800 and SB-200's if you plan it right. The SU-800 will be a great asset for outdoor portraits with High Speed Sync.

Go for it.

DG

Was just wondering what others thought in terms of value / quality. Would this suffice for a starters kit? If not what would you suggest? Please keep in mind Im in Aus and would prefer to buy locally if possible.
It looks good, with the one exception that the stands are only 6 feet tall. Which is enough for seated subjects, but limited for full length portraits or groups (we really need to get the lights higher than the subject).

Under an 8 foot ceiling, it is true that 6 foot stands is about all that works for reflected umbrellas, but if you have 10 foot ceilings, you really would like 8 foot stands.

In the USA, this kit is good
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/250348-REG/Smith_Victor_401484_UK2_Umbrella_Kit_with.html

Except the flash shoes on this one are poor (they loosen and the flash falls on the floor)... so replacing with the accessory shoe shown is better, or the Stoboframe 300 shoe (the General Purpose version) is real good.

The shoes on your model are of the good clamp type, and appear good.

I use tilting units which have a screw on the top. This allows me to use the SB-800 type flash "foot" with the locking facility.

Don't use the new SB-910 "foot" - it is all plastic and WILL sooner or later break.

DG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Dave

Duely noted about the SB-910 but I cant get my hands on the SB-800 in Australia

I assume the SB-700 and 910 are both the same?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom