1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ocktoberfest '08 KayB Player 50 1.4 & 85 1.8

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by KayB, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I purchased the 50 at about the same time I picked up the 24-70. I love the 24-70 so much, I've rarely used the 50. So this is a great opportunity to give it a chance. I intend it to be my primary for this challenge, with the 85 hanging in the wings...

Thanks in advance for your advice, C & C, & encouragment!

KayB

2. The 50/1.4 is a good and highly versatile lens. You are going to have fun, for sure. The 85/1.8 is my favorite prime, but instead of the 50 I'm going with the 35/2 which I haven't shot with much.

Have a great month...

Harry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  3. Kay, I'm afraid you may find the combo boring as the 50 and 85 aren't too far from each other... However, they are both amazing pieces of glass, and I'm sure you will have lots of fun with them.

4. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Good point. I considered that. The only other prime I have is the 105 - I used it for the last challenge so I really didn't want to put it in there again. Really, I'm planning on primarily using the 50 (I've rarely used it). I tossed the 85 in there for my own comparison. I really like the 85 (used it for my first challenge) and I'm wondering if I should keep both. I'm hoping this will help me decide.

5. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Zeke @ 50 1.4 For those of you who have seen my pix before you know I NEVER go b/w. I don't know why, but I liked this one better in b/w. Perhaps its because of his 2 year old mood...Not a happy boy tonight. Zeke is my #2 grandson.
    2905553413_11bd6b93dd.

6. The B&W works here! Great choice for your first photo. He's beautiful.

7. The B&W is beautiful, here. I have trouble seeing in B&W, too.

8. Fantastic shot. I like it.

9. Very nice. Like it a lot.

10. Great capture. The B&W works very well.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Love the eyes!

12. Kay, just a thought. If you can find a good used Kenko Pro 300 2.X extender...often $100 or so....snap it up. It works great with this lens, making it effectively a very sharp 170mm f/3.5.

13. Let me add more kudos, Kay. That is one terrific pic. The wide open softness works well and the eyes cut through that like a knife through butter. Great work.

14. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Great portrait with very special and nice eyes

15. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Thank you for all your encouragement! I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to skip individual comments and I'm off to take some cold medicine.

This is Isaac (my #3 grandson). He's in a happier mood than his big brother yesterday. Don't worry...I've only got 3 grandkids...
    Day 2
    2907935631_983ec85b92_b.

16. Get well soon Kay. He's beautiful. It wasn't until I was a father myself to really appreciate the beauty of children. Keep showing your wonderful family, I won't mind.

17. Really sharp focus on the eye. Like it.

18. He looks caught in the act (the act of what, I don't know . . .)

Definitely one to show the first girlfriend on the first date!

19. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    Hope you feel better soon. They both have beautiful eyes!!!

20. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    wow, great eyes...I love his expression!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.