1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ocktoberfest '08 Northwood 180/ 2.8 & 180/3.5 macro

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Northwood, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm a little late to this thread but would love to join if possible?

I have two 180mm primes that I need to get to know better, the Nikon 180mm f2.8 and the Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro. Same focal lengths but built for two completly different types of photography.

I’m joining as a Prime pair with bolt on’s ;
    1) I’ll post one from each lens every other day.
    2) I will only shoot macro at 1:1 or greater on the 180mm macro and may use TC’s or tubes to increase the ratio.
    Thanks,
    _Kent

2. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm looking foward to seeing your posts!

3. Looking forward to the shots

4. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    Rain the past few days..took advantage of a brief break in the clouds this afternoon and went for a walk at the local wetlands..
    Some Blackberry leaves showing some color: Nikon 180mm f2.8: Hand held D2Xs ISO400 1/125@f2.8
    KEM_6468sm.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not realy a birder lens but this greater yellow legs made a nice shot today with the Nikon 180mm f2.8: Hand held D2Xs ISO400 1/640@f2.8
    View attachment 263147

Sigma 180mm macro APO - Shot of some coffee beans at 1:1. Sigma 180mm macro f3.5: Tripod no flash D200 ISO 400 7.1s@f16.
    View attachment 263148

5. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Great start and welcome to the challenge. The bird shot is sharp. Like the contrast of the first and dont think I know enough about marco to comment on it intelligently.

6. wonderful shots:biggrin:

I think the first one could be cropped more, same with the second one (just a little, not much). LOVE the third one.
    :biggrin:

7. Nice series to start with. I love the colors on #1, and #2 is overall quite pleasing. The coffee beans are a bit boring, but don't get me wrong - I have a similar picture in my 366 Day Project :wink:

8. Wow. All three of those are just spectacular. Which reminds me, I need to go make my morning coffee!

9. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    +1

I love my Nikon 180mm and am using it as well for the challenge

10. a good start hope that you have some more for us wonderful colours in the first and I really like the bird

11. hey those coffe beans are very nice

not sure about #1 leaf seeems flat to me

#2 could be great if you cropped it much closer, with a d2x i'm sure you could, great reflection

12. Bean shot is great.

13. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks for thte comments Waltny.

I was trying for a large DOF to get most of the beans in focus. Macro is fairly new for me so I hope to improve.

Thanks, I played around with different crops and settled with what's posted. I think I liked the DOF better but a tighter crop would focus one on the leaf detail more.

Yea, Plain coffee beans don't play well for composition... maybe I should have added something to the shot or played with the lighting.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I realy like how portable the 180mm is. I'm always suprised by the sharpness and contrast I get.

Thank you!

Thanks! I already cropped it to the point I'd lose detail. :redface:

Thanks for looking and commenting.

14. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Your bird is really nice!
    Interesting choice of lenses as well

15. Really sharp shots. I agree with Lisa on the first two - a little more cropping. Those beans look like they could open up at any time and swallow you. Nice!

16. All three, although very different are very very nice. The leaves just pop out. Coffee beans very well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.