1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

October Aspens.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by camerapapi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I bet many of you are familiar with the work of Freeman Patterson and Andre Gallant, both Canadian photographers from New Brunswick. They began to publish some years ago images that they call "impressionistic." They published a book based on their techniques to produce those images.
    The book is about "subjective images", another way both photographers call their work. I have not been to any of Mr. Patterson's workshops and indeed I have only in one occasion exchanged ideas with him and that was many years ago. I bought his interesting book "Photography and the Art of Seeing" and he graciously signed the book for me. It is an excellent reference and I heartedly recommend it.
    While visiting Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming two years ago with a group of photographers, I found this place where there were some beautiful and colorful aspens. I decided to try something different to see if it would work for me. The technique requires a slow shutter speed while moving the camera in the direction of the trunks. Surely, I had many throw aways but a few of them turned out as I wanted. I used a small lens opening and a polarizer in the early light to slow the shutter down to achieve my planned technique and this was the result.

Aspens.

Late that day other members of the group wanted to know what I did and I shared the technique with them like I am doing here. Mr. Patterson calls this exercise "thinking sideways" and it is well explained in his book. It is very effective for those photographers searching for new avenues to see their subjects in a different way.
    D100.
    28-105 AF Nikkor.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. very interesting, watercolor "look"
    i like it

3. Looks to me Greg that the image is big enough this time!
    Thank you for your comments.
    William.

4. LOL, william
    as i said.... if we didn't like your work..... we'd ask you to post them SMALLER... :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.