1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

October (Fall Turn) on the Hudson River

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by MParker, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Last year, rather than have our usual long fall weekend on the Virginia Eastern Shore, we decided to try the Hudson Valley. The dates were Oct 19-22, 2012.

It was a huge hit and the weather could not have been better. We shot at number of places on or just off the river between Tarrytown and Poughkeepsie.

We have, as a group, decided to do it again. It's not too early to start planning.

I'll suggest Oct 18-21 as a placeholder.

2. garyk

garyk

Dec 15, 2008
    US
    I was raised just north of Poughkeepsie and may I suggest that if you go there, go north for another 10 miles and visit Hyde Park where you have Roosevelt's Estate and Vanderbilts Estate. Both overlook the Hudson River and are beautiful in the fall.

3. I'm going to miss this one. My sister-in-law is getting married that weekend. Even if it is a different weekend, I can only make it Saturday and Sunday as all my vacation and personal days will be used up by then.

4. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    I'm definitely in. I wonder if we should consider the following weekend instead... this source seems to think that peak color will be delayed at least a week.

Also, I saw Sonya a couple of weekends ago... I told her that I didn't think I was going to rent a house again up there. She suggested the Holiday Inn Express in Highland Falls, which offers rates between $153 and $179, depending upon the dates we end up going with and whether or not we want to have a refundable option. As long as some are willing to share hotel rooms, the price should be comparable to the house rental.

Here's last year's thread to get a better idea of what we considered (and what we actually did).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Oct 7, 2007
    Maryland
    Please count me in. I have an out-of-town obligation October 12-13, but October 18-21 should work for me. Also, if Kristin is correct that the Fall colors will be better if we delay the outing for one week, that would work for me as well.

6. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Count me in as well. Either weekend looks ok at this point.

I'm in the middle of an FDR biography, so would 2nd the idea of a visit to Hyde Park :) 

7. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    These are just random thoughts, given that we're still early in the planning process...

• The Hyde Park estates - both FDR's home and the Vanderbilt Mansion sound great. I think we would have considered them last time, had we not already had other estates on the itinerary. The fact that they are NPS properties means that part will be closed because of mandatory budget cuts, but the grounds are definitely open (and free).

• Most of us missed visiting the Sleepy Hollow cemetery - but those who made it found it very worthwhile, therefore I would suggest trying to fit it in again.

• Not everyone made it to the Walkway Over the Hudson sunrise shoot - I think the rest of us would agree it's definitely worth another visit.

• Obviously the West Point grounds should be on the itinerary again, since we have Sonya to assist with access; I would like another chance to visit the cadet chapel with fewer visitors (if possible - if it's open early in the morning).

• Sonya also visited a great location after we left - a very interesting bridge near West Point that everyone should like.

• I think Bear Mountain might be a good location for a sunset shoot... and most of our group didn't make it there at all last time.

• I also found some intriguing info about the Popolopen Creek Suspension Footbridge, near Fort Montgomery and the Bear Mountain Bridge.

I'm trying to remember if the folks who drove the Seven Lakes Drive found it worthwhile (I suspect not so much, since I don't recall seeing that many photos).

8. pinn8

pinn8

Mar 3, 2010
    Virginia
    Fall on the Hudson

I should be able to make it either weekend.

Kristin - 7 lakes drive was nice, but I think it is a fun place more than a stunningly scenic one. I was pretty happy with this shot I took there.
    http://raia.com/galleries/picture?/1320/category/139-seven_lakes_drive
    I missed Bear Mountain, the walking bridge, and sleepy hollow. I will be happy to do any of these if the group decides to.

I am also interested in seeing things near Saratoga. I'm not sure exactly what yet, but will do some research.

-SteveR

9. bvanderm

bvanderm

Sep 30, 2012
    Elkins, WV
    Hudson River 2013

Hi folks. As some of you know I moved to Elkins, WV, but it won't take much arm twisting for me to go back, not to mention that its my daughter's birthday on the 25th. Having lived up there for four years, the weekend of Oct. 18-21 is generally a good bet for good color. It's been very wet in the NE and that bodes well for vibrant and long lasting fall foliage. The weekend of the 12th may be a tad early. As you know we're playing percentages here and anything such as a hard frost or tropical system can change all that. But I predict that it will be perfect (somewhere at least).

10. I'm at the Ramada in Fishkill. $113/night.

http://www.ramada.com/hotels/new-yo...78&006=24032899978&007=Search&008=&025=c&026=

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  11. I've subscribed to this thread in hopes of joining up with the group for a day or two --- but it'll depend on the final schedule and how much energy/motivation I'll have left after arriving home from my 6-8 week cross-country roadtrip.

My roadtrip schedule is somewhat flexible, but I expect to be home sometime around mid-October. I live about 100-125 miles from the mid-Hudson Valley. I'm just not sure whether I'll have the energy to drive those miles after having driven 8-10K miles the previous two months.

12. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    If you want to do a little shutter clicking during your evenings, there's a massive carved pumpkin display in the area. http://www.hudsonvalley.org/events/blaze
    It usually sells out and tickets go quickly, so you'd have to buy well in advance.

13. Don't think I'm going to make it again.

14. I'm not going to make it this year.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I will see if I can work this into my shooting schedule. I might be doing another train shoot that weekend.

16. I'm late to the discussion, my kids keep me busy during the summer. I would say the later weekend would be better, if that's what they're predicting. I haven't lived here long enough to say from experience what it's going to do. The cadets are just settling in, and no schedules have been posted for fall parades,etc, or I would give those as options for choosing a weekend. Last year you missed the final parade by one weekend. They really are amazing to see. If I get any news from my hubby soon, I'll let you know. He may have access to info that I don't.

17. pinn8

pinn8

Mar 3, 2010
    Virginia
    Which weekend did we settle on?

I see references to both the 11th and the 18th. Which weekend are we really doing?

-SteveR

18. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey all,

I may now have to go to Louisville with the family on the 18th, but won't know for a while yet. The 11th definitely works, though. I would love to go either way - the trip was a lot of fun last year.

19. I'm in (at least in theory). As it gets closer and my life takes shape, I'll know better.

20. I'm sticking with the 18th until I hear something definitive. I have forecasted leave for both weekends though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.