October weekend

Discussion in 'People' started by Beezle, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Just a few images from today. Carried the D2X and 70-200 VR around with me as we did the family stuff.

ben-soccer-2-rsz.
    pumpkin-patch.

I need to get in more practice with this setup. I don't use long lenses very often, and out of some 350 shots today, I probably only have about 40 decent images.

Even when I kept the shutter speed up (1600-3000) and VR on, I still had too many images where I focused on the wrong thing (ie, not a face) or something similar went wrong.

I am using AF-C with FPS rate + AF and lockon off. I am using single area. Should I be trying dynamic area or group dynamic?

2. srullik

srullik Guest

Hi.
    Maybe the diopter is not adjusted correctly ?
    It sound strange to me becaue if you use only one AF spot and you "aim" correcly there shouldnt be any problem with that.

3. I am thinking more my expectations. Take the example below. I didn't see why 1/1600 wouldn't produce a quite sharp result. But this is hand held, and probably with less than ideal VR technique (giving it time to spin up).

Also, as the subject gets closer and fills the frame, the DOF narrows and what I aim at matters. In this case, it should have ideally been his face.

ben-soccer-mb.

Next week I will try a monopod.

4. Here is an example of why I am confused by the results I get. This is from August and as sharp as anyone could hope for.

[​IMG]

That is at 1/800 and again hand held.

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    First one looks kinda soft. Though not a canidate for dynamic AF. Use dynamic AF when the subject is moving erratically. If the subject is moving stright at the camera, then AF-C should be fine.

200mm is not really that long of a tele... and with shutter speeds around "1600-3000" you should simply turn VR off. Use VR when shutter speeds drop to below 1/250" or so.

Though I don't normally shoot kid shots with this lense because it's just so darn heavy, my wrists start hurting after a while.

Here's a sample from an 80-200/2.8 - push pull type, non-AFS, so it's quite a bit slower than yours and with no VR. Shot with a D2h wide open at 1/4000 @160mm AF-C center AF point selected. Sharp as a tack - no problem tracking action:

[​IMG]

6. The first one is sharp at 100%. I don't sharpen images very much as a matter of taste.

I will try turning VR off.

7. I think I figured out what I do wrong here.

I stab at the shutter, which does not give the VR time to start up. When I think back on the shots that came out well, I was tracking and firing.

Time to learn to use that AF ON button. Kind of a pain to use a finger and thumb, but I bet it works better.

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Gregory,

Nice shot. I love the freeze effect found in the splashing water.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've said this before and I guess I'll say it again. For shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, turn the VR off. The VR cycle time is about 1 ms (1/1000 sec) which indicates that it could be out of phase on a random basis for shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 resulting in a decrease in sharpness. I have experienced this for my self, as I usually shoot from a boat and thought VR would help with the motion of the ocean. I have found that faster than 1/1000, I get an unacceptable number of blurry shots with VR on. I turn it off, and the number of sharp shots increases dramatically.
    Give it a try. Besides, at 1/1000 sec, you are well past the old 1/focal length thingy for the 70-200

10. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I have been experiencing the same problem. Thanks for the info people. Just not used to working with such clever equipment. :smile: