Octoberfest '13 - Darren (kixsand) - 28 & 85 1.8G ~day 20 - post 251

I haven't taken a meaningful picture in 2 months!

It's time to get myself out of this rut and I think the 'Fest is the perfect exercise for what ails me!

I'm actually excited.

I'm thinking maybe my 24 mm 2.8 Ai-s or 105 2.5 Ai-s?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't taken a meaningful picture in 2 months!

It's time to get myself out of this rut and I think the 'Fest is the perfect exercise for what ails me!

I'm actually excited.

I'm thinking maybe my 24 mm 2.8 Ai-s or 105 2.5 Ai-s?
Good to see you here Darren - how about using both?

Real Name
Chris
Darren I still think about your adventures the last time you fested - those back roads scenes brought back memories of some of my own travels. What ever camera and lens you choose will turn out to be the right one, cause we all know, it's about what the photographer sees, not the lens.

Can't wait to see 'em!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the support and encouragement!

I'm thinking it will be the 85 1.8g and the 28 1.8g - full circle from where I started but I think they'll be a fun pair to shoot with for the month.

We will be receiving a new puppy on the 21st of the month - so fair warning! Look for lots of 8 week old Vizsla shots to close out the Fest.

Darren, looking forward to your posts with the chosen combo. I miss your stuff, you do great work! By the way, my family visited Toronto a few months ago (as well as Montreal) and had a great time. Such an awesome city just up north of us.

I feel that it would be a mistake to hit you full in the face with my best work right off the start. I think it makes more sense to slowly build to a crescendo excellence.

Today, my goal was to get out of the gates and on the board! The Fest is more of a Marathon than a sprint - don't want to go out too fast...

I will say though that when I groggily walked downstairs this morning to grab a coffee I was struck by the knowledge that it was October 1st. With excitement I ran to grab my camera and my two lenses for the month. What a great way to start the day!

So this is more of a snapshot than anything..

Nikon D700 with the 28 1.8G. This is a slight crop from the full 28mm FOV. It was still quite dark in the house so I'm at ISO 800 here with an SB600 on the camera pointing up.

F 1.8 ~ 1/100th

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And... you're on the board. I like the image of your morning and the story to get it. This is one of the advantages: you'll see through the eyes of different people during the month.
And you're absolutely right: it's more a marathon. :biggrin:

Ciao Darren
What about your family? Are they aware of this commitment and willing to play? How comes you son had a peluche on His head? This is not exactly a toy i'd expect to see in His hands, not surely more than a cloche of a Playstation...

Real Name
Chris
I feel that it would be a mistake to hit you full in the face with my best work right off the start. I think it makes more sense to slowly build to a crescendo excellence.

Today, my goal was to get out of the gates and on the board! The Fest is more of a Marathon than a sprint - don't want to go out too fast...

Yeah, yeah - that's the ticket! :Crunk:

It's a charming picture of your life Darren - your boy cracks me up. And the lens looks good, and like you said, it's only gonna get better.

Nice start! Shows some beautiful skincolors.

Make sure to print that for your son, he will love to show it around in school.........:Crunk:

This is one of the advantages: you'll see through the eyes of different people during the month.
You've hit on one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum. So interesting and healthy to exercise empathy by getting to know our wonderfully varied collection of photographers here!

Your 28 renders background very nice!
Hope to see more family shots from you :smile:
I'm sure you're going to see more of them! We've also got an 8 week old Vizsla puppy that will be joining our family later in the month so get ready to be overwhelmed with cuteness!

Ciao Darren
How comes you son had a peluche on His head? This is not exactly a toy i'd expect to see in His hands, not surely more than a cloche of a Playstation...
His little brother had brought it downstairs with him. You're right about the computers though...they are often on my macs playing Minecraft these days. They can't get enough of it!

at least someone that cooperates:smile:
We'll see how long it lasts!

Yeah, yeah - that's the ticket! :Crunk:

It's a charming picture of your life Darren - your boy cracks me up. And the lens looks good, and like you said, it's only gonna get better.
Thanks Chris!

Nice start! Shows some beautiful skincolors.

Make sure to print that for your son, he will love to show it around in school.........:Crunk:
I'm colour blind and often struggle with skin tones, so this is one of the kindest compliments that you could pay me! Thanks!

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Great start Darren! And really, a nice piece of work you have here:wink:
As said, nicely sharp with a good rather vague BG. The toy makes this one to keep!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom