Octoberfest '13: Registration & Rules

OctoberFest, a celebration of prime lens photography (aka framing with your feet), is one of the longest running challenges on the Cafe. It was formulated in 2007 by a clever chap named dCap, whose vision remains unsullied, though he has been MIA since 2008. The rules have been refined by a succession of FestMeisters over the years. The latest revision, formulated by 2013's co-FestMeisters, Chris & Frank, follows the list of registered players.

Registration (You can change your mind as many times as you like before 10/1)

ArtScar2 (Art) - Hardcore - 50mm Nikkor-K - D40
BLX (Morten) - Player - Olympus 25/1.4 & 75/1.8 - Olympus E-M5
caraman (Phil) - Hardcore - 50MM 1.4G - D600
Chris101 (Chris) - Player - Apple 3.3mm f/2.4 & 35mm f/2 Nikkor - D???
djh63 (David) - Hardcore - 28/2.8E - D700, F5 and F3
Dropsix (Eric) - Hardcore - Siggy 35 f1.4 - D600
dubaiphil (Phil) - Hardcore - 2/35 Distagon - D700
Fons Baerken (Fons) - Player - 35/1.4G & 35/1.4AIS - D800 and D700
Gordo (Gordon) - Casual - 35/2D and 85/1.4D - D700
Harry Lavo (Harry) - Player - Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor AI 200mm f/4 - D7000, D300, and Nikon FG
Italy74 (Dino) -Hardcore - Zeiss ZF2 3.5/18 - D600
JusPlainCrayzee (Lyndee) - Hardcore - 300mm f/4 ED-IF
Kees de Bruin (Kees) - Casual - Nikon 1 V1 and 18.5/1.8
Keirin (John) - Player - Zeiss ZF50/f2 and a Nikon 500/f4 P
kixsand (Darren) - Player - 28 & 85 1.8G
Kry27 (Roland) - Player - 28/1.4D & PC-Micro 85/2.8D on D3
les_au (Les) - Hardcore - nikon 28mm f/2.8 E - D90
markov (Marko) - Player - Voigtländer 15mm f/4.5 Super Wide-Heliar and Leitz Summicron IV 50mm f/2 - Leica M9
McQ (Glenn) - Player - iPhone 5 (about 33mm) and D3s with Nikon 50mm f/1.8
mcs (Michael) - Player - Olympus em5 and 20f1.7 + 75f1.8
mematsu (John) - Casual - Fuji XE1, PST 55 1.8/Minolta 85 1.7MD
mysh (Dave) - 10.5mm fisheye and 50mm 1.4G -D800
NaptownSailor (Jacques Louis) - Hardcore - 60/2,8 microNikkor
OHcorgis (Birgit) - Player - 60mmf/2.8 and 300f/4 - D7100 and D4
pa (Jim) - Hardcore - 35mm f/2 AIS - D600 and D7100
pforsell (Peter) - Player - Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 80 mm f/4 and Nikkor AI-S 35 mm f/2 - D1X
Rob Zijlstra - (Rob) Player - 24mm PC-E and 135mm DC - D700
Rooz (Chris) - Hardcore - Olympus 17/1.8 - Olympus E-P5
snappytog (Graham) - Hardcore - Nikon 300 f/4 - D300
Tim Kahn (Tim) - Hardcore - D300s and pinhole
timberline12k (David) - Hardcore - Leica M with Voigtländer 50/1.5 Nokton M Aspherical
Uncle Frank (Frank) - Player - Olympus 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 - Olympus E-P5
uscmatt99 (Matt) - Player - Sigma 19/2.8 and 60/2.8 - NEX-6
Xapathan (Aaron) - Player - AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60 mm 1:2,8G ED and AF-S NIKKOR 85 mm 1:1,8G - D700

How to Play
  • Choose a prime lens or two.
  • Decide on your level of commitment
    > Hardcore: 1 lens only for the month
    > Player: 2 lenses for the month
    > Casual: Same as Player, only freedom to shoot other lenses outside of The Challenge. Just don't post them here.
    > Hardcore and Player participants may obtain an Event Pass should they need to use other equipment for an Event during the course of the month.
  • Start a thread to display your masterpieces, using the naming convention <Octoberfest '13> <Name> <Lens(es)>
    [*]Post daily, if possible, and make constructive comments on others' postings
  • Please restrict yourself to 1 image post per day, though some of them may have been taken on the same day.
    > If you'd like to present a series, choose a single representative image for your daily post, and link to a post the Octoberfest '13 Bucket containing the remainder of the series.
    > Pictures with multiple parts contained within one image, such as diptychs, triptychs, mosaics, will be counted as a single image.
  • The ideal Octoberfest '13 thread will contain 31 fabulous images, and lots of comments from fellow festive Festers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
Registrations from other threads:

les_au (Les)
Kry27 (Roland)
Rob Zijlstra - Player - 24mm PC-E and 135mm DC
snappytog
BLX (Morten)
djh63 (David) - you've got a pass for your trip David.
Xapathan (Aaron)
Harry Lavo

Thanks to Frank and Chris for hosting- very much appreciated!

Thanks as well for my special dispensation...... I will be in Italy on a family holiday and won't return until Saturday 5th October. I will shoot plenty of MF film whist away and try to capture enough digital images to allow me to catch up with Octoberfest once I come back home.

Early thoughts are to use one of my cheap MF Nikkors.... perhaps the 28/2.8 E and shoot a mixture of digital and film during the month.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks to Frank and Chris for hosting- very much appreciated!

Thanks as well for my special dispensation...... I will be in Italy on a family holiday and won't return until Saturday 5th October. I will shoot plenty of MF film whist away and try to capture enough digital images to allow me to catch up with Octoberfest once I come back home.

Early thoughts are to use one of my cheap MF Nikkors.... perhaps the 28/2.8 E and shoot a mixture of digital and film during the month.
Yeah, I was thinking that I will probably only develop film on weekends. I notice that there is no restriction in the rules concerning when the shooting happens. IF I shoot film, I will want to start early.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Okay; I'm in as Hardcore, but will definitely need a pass, as I'll be just be coming back from vacation, and I know I'll be shooting stuff for my job.

This go round, I'll be using my 300mm f/4 ED-IF. It's a lens I haven't touched in ages, and it's about time I did. Stay tuned! :tongue:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay; I'm in as Hardcore, but will definitely need a pass, as I'll be just be coming back from vacation, and I know I'll be shooting stuff for my job.
Pass granted, Lyndee, but for what dates?

This go round, I'll be using my 300mm f/4 ED-IF. It's a lens I haven't touched in ages, and it's about time I did. Stay tuned! :tongue:
Wow, I admire your ambition. That's an awfully big lens to lug around for a month.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Pass granted, Lyndee, but for what dates?
A pass for the entire month, I'm afraid. I don't come back from vacation until the beginning of October, and there are several photo tasks that I have to do for work, but those dates haven't been set yet. It could be at any time during the month... :frown:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Good the entry post has been posted!

And before I forget:

Many Thanks Chris and Frank for hosting this festival!

Many thanks to Frank and Chris! You the real FestMeisters and O'fest '13 is in good hands!

A pass for the entire month, I'm afraid. I don't come back from vacation until the beginning of October, and there are several photo tasks that I have to do for work, but those dates haven't been set yet. It could be at any time during the month... :frown:
Don't you hate it when work interferes with your favorite hobby? :Curved: Bless you for your honesty, Lyndee. Pass granted. It's always a treat to have your company.

cheers chris and uncle frank for hosting, still not sure of my lens selection, i am hoping to got shopping at keh this week to ensure the lens or lenses i buy make it to australia in time if not i have 3 primes to pick from. i am looking at buying either a samyang 8mm fisheye or a nikon 85mm 1.8 or both i am leaning toward the 85mm as i am in need of something small and fast and longer than 50mm. see what happens with this weeks pay

Hi folks!
special thanks to Chris and Uncle Frank for hosting this year's fest '13.

I've thought long and hard on which lens (es) to use and after many sleepless nights, it's hardcore for me, the Nikon 300 f/4.

It has been a awful year so far having lost my mum to brain cancer back in June of this year.

Graham

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hi folks!

I've thought long and hard on which lens (es) to use and after many sleepless nights, it's hardcore for me, the Nikon 300 f/4.

It has been a awful year so far having lost my mum to brain cancer back in June of this year.

Graham
Graham, I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences.

Hi folks!
You're welcome, Graham. It's a pretty easy job. The participants are all senior Cafe members, and all we have to do is pull together the rules and register them.

You and Lyndee are both going big. It'll be an interesting shootout.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom