Octoberfest 2015 - registration and discussion thread

Ladies and Gents of the Cafe, that time of year is upon us once again. Our annual month-long prime lens challenge, Octoberfest, is approaching quickly. This is a friendly gathering of photographers from various locations, sharing views of our world through our creative vision (well, maybe not so creative in my case :whistle:).

This thread serves as an invitation, the registration point, and a forum to discuss the rules and ask any questions you may have.

If you wish to participate, please declare so in this thread. Let us know which camera and lens(es) you will be using, and at which level of participation. You may change your list of gear, or level of participation, up until midnight 30 September 2015 (your local time). If you make a last-minute change, please let me know so I can update the thread with the correct information.

Discussion of rules, and any resulting changes, will end 28 September.

Octoberfest starts on 1 October, and ends 31 October (your local time).

Rules for 2015:

1. Shooting to be done with prime lens(es) (fixed focal length).

2. Maximum of 31 images for the month in each participant's thread. (If requested, we will have a bucket thread for overflow images.)

3. Each player is to start their own thread in order to share their work, titled in the following format:

Octoberfest 2015 – Screen Name – Lens(es) – day of last update (Example: Octoberfest 2015 – Gordo – 24/2.8, 135/3.5 – 01 Oct).

Please make sure your thread is open by September 30, and modify your thread title every time you add a picture.

4. Level of participation:

Hardcore – 1 prime only for the month. Make sure to only post photos from your declared gear in the Octoberfest threads.

Player – 2 or 3 primes for the month. Make sure to only post photos from your declared gear in the Octoberfest threads.

5. Posting goal is one photo a day (hey, this is supposed to be a challenge after all). Life can get in the way, so if you miss some posts that's fine, but please try to post photos for the majority of the month. If you are out of town, your computer breaks or you do not have internet access for a few days, etc... you may post missed photos once you return/ regain access – just make sure each day's photos are posted within your thread, in separate posts clearly labeled for the missed day(s).

6. Comments from all participants on everyone's photos are appreciated. If a participant wishes to receive critique, and you choose to offer critique, please do so in a polite and helpful manner.

7. Have fun and enjoy the company.

Update - 29 September

Rules finalized.

Update - 4 October

Participant List (no particular order):

BLX (Morten) - Player - Olympus OM-D E-M1 and E-M5, Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95 (35mm eqv), Olympus 75/1.8 (150mm eqv)

Kees de Bruin (Kees) - Player - Fuji X-T1, Fuji X 23/1.4, Tair 11A 135/2.8

kilofoxtrot (Klaus) - Player - D700, 50/1.4G, 105/2.8G micro

Harry Lavo (Harry) - Player - D600, Ai-S 35/2, Ai 135/2

mpresley (Mike) - Player - Sony a7, Ai-S 28/2.8, Vivitar 135/2.5

Les_au (Les) - Player - D7100 or D90, 35 f/1.8 Dx, Smc tacuma 55 f/2 m42 mount, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro OS + tubes most likely

ArtO (Art) - Player - D2H, D3200, Ai-S 55/2.8 macro, Ai-S 105/4 macro, Ai 200/4

JusPlainCrayzee (Lyndee) - Hardcore - D7100, Nikkor 105/2.8

Xapathan (Aaron) - Player - D700, 53/2, 90/3.5

pforsell (Peter) - ?

Gordo (Gordon) - Player - Df, non-Ai NPK Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f/2.8 and NPK Nikkor-Q Auto 135mm f/3.5

Fons Baerken (Fons) - Player - Df, Ai-S 35mm f/1.4, Voigtlander 125 f/2.5

cosmicfires (David) - Hardcore - D7000, factory AI converted Nikkor-SC 50/1.4

Emoyeni (Eamonn) - Player - D700, D810, 35/1.8G, AF-S 300/4D, Tokina 100/2.8 macro

NEF Said (Paul) - Player - D700, Ai-S 28mm/2.8 and 105mm/2.5, Fuji X100s with 23mm/f2

skidoo (Mike) - Player - D810, 60/2.8D micro, 135/2 DC, 20/2.8D

djh63 (David) - Hardcore - D700 (and maybe F3), Ai-S 50/1.8

Winterfell (Brian) - Player - D800E, Rokinon 24/1.4 and 135/1.4

Kry27 (Roland) - Hardcore - Sony a7, 16/3.5 fisheye

Last edited:
I'm in.

Player

Nikon Df, with non-Ai NPK Nikkor-N Auto 24mm f/2.8 and NPK Nikkor-Q Auto 135mm f/3.5 primes.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm liking the looks of that Df Gordon!

Well, the Texans are starting with similar lenses :)

Last year I used my m4/3 Olympus with the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 - both of those have been sold and replaced with a Sony a7. I'm also going to go with the player level and use my Nikkor- S Auto 50mm f/1.4 AIS and a Vivitar 135mm f/2.5

P1310580_-L.jpg

ok i had hoped to use a different lens for each month however that little project will have to go on hold for next month

d7100, nikon 35mm f/1.8 dx, sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro OS, smc takumar 55mm f/2 M42 mount

i had planned on using the same setup as last year however my 105/1.8 is on loan at the moment, thought the old Pentax lens would add something different to my af nikon and sigma primes

Last edited:
Count me in as a player using the Fuji X-T1. I haven't decided on the lenses yet but for now I will be using the Fuji 23mm or 27mm and the Tair 135mm or Hoya 200mm.

Is it possible to run two Octoberfest threads concurrently using different gear and two completely different modi operandi? What I mean is that both I and my alter ego (like Bruce Wayne and Batman) would do their own Octoberfest. Haha talk about schizophrenia hee hee hoo hoo :hungover:

What do the rules say?

Is it possible to run two Octoberfest threads concurrently using different gear and two completely different modi operandi? What I mean is that both I and my alter ego (like Bruce Wayne and Batman) would do their own Octoberfest. Haha talk about schizophrenia hee hee hoo hoo :hungover:

What do the rules say?

I don't recall this scenario being discussed before... maybe someone who has been around longer might...

Would you be able to run two threads concurrently for a month?

I think this is a good discussion point for the group. Thoughts, anyone?

Every ego (uhm...) can open a thread, of course. Once declared and living through October, we won't even know that there's only one man behind it.
Or... just don't use these red pills anymore :D:rolleyes:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Okay, so here goes:

D7100...Nikkor 105mm f/2.8

Exception needed for October 9, 10 and 11 - out of town, won't be taking gear. I'll make up for it when I return.

Last year I used my m4/3 Olympus with the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 - both of those have been sold and replaced with a Sony a7. I'm also going to go with the player level and use my Nikkor- S Auto 50mm f/1.4 AIS and a Vivitar 135mm f/2.5

P1310580_-L.jpg

I'm going to adjust my list to be the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS and the Vivitar 135/2.5 - I decided I wanted a little broader spread of focal lengths. I have some traveling to do in October but will most certainly be bringing the camera with me.

I also have a question - is it permissible to use an extension tube for some shots and without the tube for others - same lens of course? I'd like to use the 135 with and without the tube.

I'm going to adjust my list to be the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS and the Vivitar 135/2.5 - I decided I wanted a little broader spread of focal lengths. I have some traveling to do in October but will most certainly be bringing the camera with me.

I also have a question - is it permissible to use an extension tube for some shots and without the tube for others - same lens of course? I'd like to use the 135 with and without the tube.

Tubes and other modifiers have been okay previously.

It's OK as far as I know.

Ladies and Gents of the Cafe, that time of year is upon us once again. Our annual month-long prime lens challenge, Octoberfest, is approaching quickly. This is a friendly gathering of photographers from various locations, sharing views of our world through our creative vision (well, maybe not so creative in my case :whistle:).

This thread serves as an invitation, the registration point, and a forum to discuss the rules and ask any questions you may have.

If you wish to participate, please declare so in this thread. Let us know which camera and lens(es) you will be using, and at which level of participation. You may change your list of gear, or level of participation, up until midnight 30 September 2015 (your local time). If you make a last-minute change, please let me know so I can update the thread with the correct information.

Discussion of rules, and any resulting changes, will end 28 September.

Octoberfest starts on 1 October, and ends 31 October (your local time).

Proposed rules:

1. Shooting to be done with prime lens(es) (fixed focal length).

2. Maximum of 31 images for the month in each participant's thread. (If requested, we will have a bucket thread for overflow images.)

3. Each player is to start their own thread in order to share their work, titled in the following format:

Octoberfest 2015 – Screen Name – Lens(es) – day of last update (Example: Octoberfest 2015 – Gordo – 24/2.8, 135/3.5 – 01 Oct).

Please make sure your thread is open by September 30, and modify your thread title every time you add a picture.

4. Level of participation:

Hardcore – 1 prime only for the month. Make sure to only post photos from your declared gear in the Octoberfest threads.

Player – 2 or 3 primes for the month. Make sure to only post photos from your declared gear in the Octoberfest threads.

5. Posting goal is one photo a day (hey, this is supposed to be a challenge after all). Life can get in the way, so if you miss some posts that's fine, but please try to post photos for the majority of the month. If you are out of town, your computer breaks or you do not have internet access for a few days, etc... you may post missed photos once you return/ regain access – just make sure each day's photos are posted within your thread, in separate posts clearly labeled for the missed day(s).

6. Comments from all participants on everyone's photos are appreciated. If a participant wishes to receive critique, and you choose to offer critique, please do so in a polite and helpful manner.

7. Have fun and enjoy the company.

I will update this post with finalized rules after any discussion occurs.

The list of participants, their gear, and their participation level will be posted after the rules have been finalized.

Thanks, Gordo, for getting registration set up. Perhaps you and Aaron can co-host the month to share the load.

Love that bad-*** Df pre-AIS look you are sporting this year. Bet the pics are equally bad-***.

I'm also registering as a Player this year. I'll be using my D600 (haven't used FF in this meme before) and two manual lenses. One of them will be the 135mm/f2, which I normally only use as an available light portrait lens. Will give me a chance to see what else it can do. The second lens will be old standby 35mm/f2 AIS just to cover both ends. Considered using my 24mm, but I used that two years ago. These are both new in the meme for me.

Excited to get started!!

Thanks, Gordo, for getting registration set up. Perhaps you and Aaron can co-host the month to share the load.

Love that bad-*** Df pre-AIS look you are sporting this year. Bet the pics are equally bad-***.

I'm also registering as a Player this year. I'll be using my D600 (haven't used FF in this meme before) and two manual lenses. One of them will be the 135mm/f2, which I normally only use as an available light portrait lens. Will give me a chance to see what else it can do. The second lens will be old standby 35mm/f2 AIS just to cover both ends. Considered using my 24mm, but I used that two years ago. These are both new in the meme for me.

Excited to get started!!
It looks the AI lenses are going to be well represented this year. I miss my 135 f/2 - but the Viv 135/2.5 is seeming to be a usable replacement. Looking forward to seeing yours and everyone else's shots.

just thinking...

X_01_gear_Ofest_2015_9593.jpg

Glad you're joining Morten - last year I represented the m4/3 system with the Voigt 42.5mm but since I'm still on my honeymoon with the a7 I thought I'd better use it :) Look forward to seeing more shots with your Voigt 17.5

:D Thanks, and looking forward to see what the a7 shows for the month.

OK, let's get started.

My gear:
D700, 50mm 1.4G, 105mm G micro

Klaus

Hi Klaus! :)

ok i had hoped to use a different lens for each month however that little project will have to go on hold for next month

d7100, nikon 35mm f/1.8 dx, sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro OS, smc takumar 55mm f/2 M42 mount

i had planned on using the same setup as last year however my 105/1.8 is on loan at the moment, thought the old Pentax lens would add something different to my af nikon and sigma primes

Hey Les - interested in this month as well as your 12-month. Love the way you are working in the older non-Nikon glass. :)

Count me in as a player using the Fuji X-T1. I haven't decided on the lenses yet but for now I will be using the Fuji 23mm or 27mm and the Tair 135mm or Hoya 200mm.

Hi Kees! Miss my X-T1 a bit. Interesting spread of glass you have to choose from. :)

What do the rules say?

Peter - looking forward to watching you accomplish this feat. I hope you will label your two threads in a manner we don't get you confused with you. Or something. :D

Okay, so here goes:

D7100...Nikkor 105mm f/2.8

Exception needed for October 9, 10 and 11 - out of town, won't be taking gear. I'll make up for it when I return.

Hi Lyndee! :)

Excited to get started!!

Heya Harry! :D Don't know if my snapshots will look as good as the gear, but the not-quite-so-new glass is a joy to use.

It looks the AI lenses are going to be well represented this year. I miss my 135 f/2 - but the Viv 135/2.5 is seeming to be a usable replacement. Looking forward to seeing yours and everyone else's shots.

Indeed - a good showing of manual focus and adapted lenses this year. :)

just thinking...

X_01_gear_Ofest_2015_9593.jpg

And... speaking of manual focus and adapted glass. Hi Aaron! Is that an SL 90/3.5 APO off to the side? :D

Hi Morten! Dueling cameras. :cool:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom